Finally got my rig built - First test shots

Name
Ian
Edit My Images
No
Hi guys,

Finally finished constructing my rig.
These are the very first test shots from it.
I'm basically using 2 Manfrotto F1000 Avengers, 3 super clamps, Manfrotto magic arm, 3 6ft Steel tubes (these were from b&q, wardrobe rails, very rigid yet very light, lighter than the aluminium ones I was looking at), and a tensioning wire to help prevent bounce.

Any hints and tips for Rig photography welcome,
the shots below are my first real attempts at using it.
All shot with a 17-40L using an ND8 Filter, 2 - 3 second exposures.

Rig (1 of 1)-7 by Photography by Ian Clark, on Flickr

Rig (2 of 2) by Photography by Ian Clark, on Flickr

Rig (1 of 1)-6 by Photography by Ian Clark, on Flickr

Rig (1 of 1)-5 by Photography by Ian Clark, on Flickr

I'll post a couple of pics of the Rig itself shortly.

Any C & C welcome.....

Could be placed straight into a brochure. Looking forward to seeing photos of the rig.

Some of the best rig-stuff on here, looking forward to seeing more (although preferably not on an Aygo! :p )

Wow guys, i'm super impressed with your comments, these shots were my first ever attempt with a rig, so it's great to see i'm already on the right track!
I've got some great cars lined up for the next few weeks, hopefully a Porsche, Audi A5, Audi TT and a Focus ST which is featured on the cover of performance ford next month, so all good!

The Aygo is my wife's car, I thought i'd better test it out on hers first !

Anyway here's some photo's of my rig, all constructed by myself using off the shelf parts.
It cost me just over £300 to assemble, although 80% of that is paying for Manfrotto parts. The boom arm and tensioners etc cost about £60 - £80 all in. I notice nearly everyone uses aluminium poles, I did extensive research on this and found that aluminium isn't necessarily the best material for a boom arm, it's very light but has very low rigidity, and rigidity is what you need. Steel is much heavier than aluminium but has a much much greater rigidity factor. I bought wardrobe rail from B&Q in 6ft lengths. This pole is very very rigid yet has quite thin wall so is incredibly light. I reckon my pole is lighter than an aluminium one, yet much more rigid. I found a heavier steel pole which slotted perfectly inside the 6ft ones which I drilled and used as joining sections. The whole rig takes minutes to assemble/disassemble, i'm really happy with it.
I went to an aluminium factory during the research and tried out quite few poles and wasn't happy with any of them, they were way too bendy under load.

My 18ft Rig (it's even shiny chrome looking ! Excuse the pics, taken on a phone)

20130202_162711 by Photography by Ian Clark, on Flickr

20130206_154101 by Photography by Ian Clark, on Flickr

20130205_123311 by Photography by Ian Clark, on Flickr

20130202_165402 by Photography by Ian Clark, on Flickr

The bloke in the pics isn't me by the way, it's my glamorous assistant, my dad !

Thanks again for the comments

The tensioner was the cheapest part. It's basically 3 pipe clamps (the rubber lined ones), these have M10 threads on them, I used 2 M10 eye bolts for each end, a 1 metre M10 threaded bar for the centre with an eye at the top. I then threaded a wire through the centre, it has wire tensioners at either end and is connected to the eye bolts via carabiners (these are the clips that rock climbers use).
Very very simple to construct and it dismantles in seconds by unthreading the centre bar from the pole.
I leave all the pipe clamps permanantly attached.

Looks great! Think a big difference is using a great lens, and some great colours! Can't wait to see more :)

Cheers mate, yeah i'm shooting with a 5D Mark II and a 17-40L so no bad kit for this sort of thing which always helps.
I'm loving playing with the colours, normally with wedding shoots it's all about colour 'correction', with cars the colourful skies and vivid saturations really seem to set them off, so it's fun trying different effects.

If this weather lays off a bit I'll get some more shots on here real soon :)

That's some great kit! I'd love to get a 17-40L but on my crop sensor would be too long for this. I'm also waiting for the weather to perk up so I can do more testing!

Love looking at these rig shots..thanks for sharing im currently building mine

sensational images, and glad to see the rig, was the icing on the cake, thanks for sharing.

Great shots and a well made rig.

Can't wait to see more.
Well done.
Dean. :)

Not bad for a first attempt!

Take more care on your rig removal in post...
Pic 1, there's a large distraction between the car and the cloud, i suspect where the rig was cloned out? A slight distraction on the A pillar too, with the rig reflection down it too.
Pic 2, you've left the rig reflection in completely fom the roof line down to the bumper.
Pic 3, again, on the wing mirror and into the top the rear light cluster.
Pic 4... Rear bumper again.

I only notice, as it's one of the most time consuming part of rig editting for me, and something i always find myself subconciously looking for in rig shots!

Other than that, the rig looks great - sharpness of shots looks good even at the highest resolution on flickr. almost idenical to mine, other than I went with Ali 'aerial poles' originally, also fom B&Q! I have a similar tensioner system too, even down to the wire and clips you've got.

A great start! Looking forward to seeing more, other than on an Aygo!
Martyn

Last edited:
That rig looks awesome. Do you know how much it weighs (minus manfrotto parts). I.e. just the tube, joiners and tensioning bits?

I've been considering making a rig this year and have been thinking a lot about weight vs rigidity.

Thanks

p.s. shots look awesome, if mine come out anywhere near that, I'll be a happy man. :D

Back