Finally got my scanner.....

Edit My Images
Yes
First 5x4 neg and first scan on the v700.....

Sorry haven't been around much lately but been mondo busy with work and life in general.

img0022.jpg

delta 100 in ID11.

Not a great shot but I'm still practising getting the shot right, the derv right and the scan right.

So much more to consider now, not least cost lol.

Anyways,

I will try and post more soon!

P.s.

Not quite enough dev in the tank. ARRGH!

But that what you get for cheating (just lobbing the negs wrapped in rubber bands in a 2x35mm tank and hoping for the best lol)

not enough developer..:LOL:

Actually, I think something might not be right earlier than that band at the top.
Its hard to tell what it might be, there are so many stages to consider.
The buildings seem to have less contrast than the lower parts, there's almost a line you could draw, above which the contrast is really shallow, it includes parts of the tree on the right.
Maybe there was strong sunlight on that stone, I dunno, could be that, I still dunno, what do you think..

I want to ring that chimney shadow, cast from the buildings on the left on to the arch bridgey building, but I don't want to upload one of your photos to a random photo sharer, and I can't even find the TP gallery function...:LOL:

Shot at midday ish so generally quite diffused but bright light coming from the left as you look at the shot. you can see the shadows on the bridge itself from the sun.

I have fiddled around with the levels in both the scanner and photoshop before uploading mind you, so may have introduced all sorts of nightmares to the process lol.

I was more referring to the dark band across the top where it is,I believe, underdeveloped.

It's gonna be a steep learning curve this!

I want to ring that chimney shadow, cast from the buildings on the left on to the arch bridgey building, but I don't want to upload one of your photos to a random photo sharer, and I can't even find the TP gallery function...:LOL:

nah, it's fine. I know exactly what you're on about!

Couple more showing same fault,

Oh, and one had slipped in the dds so it's now wonky........grrrrr & double grrrrrr.

img004.jpg

img0031.jpg

Definitely NOT the best photos I've ever taken but it's taking a little while to get my head around things again. Composition upside down and back to front etc etc. and now I'm workin 9-6 everyday, the only time I get to shoot is my lunch hour. Which is hardly ideal.

But, practise, practise, practise and my film shots will be a good as my digi stuff soon.

Gawd, it crams some detail in though don't it, 5x4.

Shoot slide from the get go, b/w will be a breeze after that.....assuming you have a fiver left to buy some with.....:LOL:
You should be ok scanning b/w, it doesn't take long to find out what you like and how to get there pretty quick with consistency.
Colour is a bugger, infact, I wouldn't even scan a 5x4 slide, I'd get it down the aisle pronto, exchange vows and move to Malibu....:D

Those two look better, there's a big difference in that chimney shadow contrast, maybe it was just that first one.

mmmm hmmm. Detail indeed.

100% crop (well as near as dammit anyway)

img003crop.jpg

Don't quite have the liquidity at the moment to practise with slide film. £2.00 a neg then processing on top makes it a pricey endeavour. I'm halfway through a box of delta at the mo and when that's done I'm gonna go get a fish tank heater, a plastic tub and e6 home process kit :)

more practise....

Yeah, I've done that with m/f, unfortunately negs are limited by the scanner.
Printing + enlarger, its the only way..:LOL:

I see those folks in the background sat on chairs at a cafe or something, they aren't even on the radar in the fullsize post.

I had a 6x6 scanned on an Imacon last year, it was a beach scene crowded with peeps, up on the cliffs is a bloke sat on a bench, he isn't even there at 1200dpi, cranked up to 8000dpi and cropped in, Ronaldo makes his 100th appearance for Man U who beat Birmingham 1-0, can't tell what paper it was he had it folded........:LOL:

I'm liking this one Spencer, but just needs a bit of contrast? Looking for a good black, I don't see one.

3047076422_fb88d54372_o.jpg

That consistent line across the top has to be lack of agitation?

oyyy.co.uk

£343 ish with next day delivery. I ordered it wednesday lunchtime and it was here before I left for work yesterday.

I think you may have nailed it there CT. I did try a slightly different method of agitation with this batch so it could well be that!

As for lack of contrast..... Haven't shopped these yet and when I was scanning I had the levels pulled out to make sure I didn't clip the shadows or highlights.

Expect many, many more 'what am i doing wrong' type posts now. I feel like such a newb again lol.

I don't think you can beat inversion agitation, but I'm going to be doing a lot of this myself shortly, and it's been a while, so I expect to make my cock ups. :puke:

How does the saying go? "You learn nothing from your successes"

Are you using Epson Scan or Silverfast software Ghandi?

I pretty much just use Epson software in professional mode and leave all the corrections unchecked and scan in 16 bit greyscale TIFFS. Then I clean up in Tattyshop. I'm finding Autolevels pretty much nails it most of the time with greyscale, with a small tweak using curves if needed.

Back