Finally got something worth showing!

Name
Phil
Edit My Images
Yes
Last edited:
It's actually not a bad shot, but to be honest the watermark ruins it. It just draws my eye and makes it quite hard to concentrate on the shot itself.

Welcome to TP by the way!

Yeah, a good shot, but he watermark spoils it.

I was intrigued by your comment - "now I've got the gear, I can shoot" - hence the reason I've stopped by.

Its a very good shot, although I wonder about the focus. It doesn't look sharp to me. I think the lighting is great and the pose of the dog is just class. The watermark is horrible, but let's not dwell on that, save to ask why you think its necessary.

Here may not be the place, but your comment about collecting 2nd hand gear is odd. Nearly all of my lenses are 2nd (at least) hand and I've never bought a new camera body.

There's nothing in that shot that tells me you weren't using brand new gear.

Deal with the focus issue (and the watermark) and you've got an ace shot there.

Thanks for the replies. I wasn't expecting any feedback so soon, especially as it's the middle of the night.
I have to say that I really don't like the watermark either & only put it there as a friend recently had a photo 'borrowed' without his permission & it seemed a sensible idea.
I've now re posed the photo without it:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/38211222@N00/5006758144/

I really need to try to get some sleep now, but I'll introduce myself properly in the relevant part of the forums tomorrow.

I like the shot, but also wonder why you think you need new equipment to get good pictures.
Personally I would prefer an used but higher spec camera or lens than a sparkly new cheapo version, and most of my kit was bought second (third, fourth,....) hand.
I think you should move the link to the new version to post one, as first impression is that the pic has been deleted.
.....and welcome to TP :)

Thanks for the replies.
I feel I need to explain myself a bit here as the comments on buying my kit second hand have been taken the wrong way or maybe I didn't express myself well. I know a couple of other keen amateur photographers who both went out & spent literally thousands on brand new equipment (to be fair to them it's their interest that prompted me to pick up a camera again).
My approach is to buy second hand & buy more/better equipment at the same time (I could never afford new L glass!). I've never bought anything expensive new and this applies to cars, photography equipment etc. I actually enjoy the process of buying second hand & have a much greater feeling of satisfaction grabbing a bargain. Hopefully this explains where I am coming from a bit more clearly.
More importantly than all of the above though is that I really enjoyed taking this photo & I learned a lot about setting up my equipment in the process, but at least the model didn't need too much direction!

Back