Finally moving to the D850... for one reason only.

sk66

Advertiser
Name
Steven
Edit My Images
Yes
Live view silent photography... I recently learned that the D850 can record full resolution raw files at 6FPS completely silently. It can also record 8MP (DX crop) jpegs at 15/30FPS. Unfortunately the focus is locked for each burst, but for the situations where this will be useful to me I think I can work with that.

There are many times when photographing wildlife that the banging of the shutter/mirror disturbs/alerts the animal, especially the loud clacking of the D5. FWIW the D5 can also do silent live view photography, but it only records 5MP jpegs (full frame) at 15/30fps ... fine for some things, but not when you're really wanting to maximize IQ.

Live view silent photography... I recently learned that the D850 can record full resolution raw files at 6FPS completely silently. It can also record 8MP (DX crop) jpegs at 15/30FPS. Unfortunately the focus is locked for each burst, but for the situations where this will be useful to me I think I can work with that.

There are many times when photographing wildlife that the banging of the shutter/mirror disturbs/alerts the animal, especially the loud clacking of the D5. FWIW the D5 can also do silent live view photography, but it only records 5MP jpegs (full frame) at 15/30fps ... fine for some things, but not when you're really wanting to maximize IQ.

I haven't used silent Live View but I have noticed a difference in using Qc, it is much less likely to spook wildlife.

I'll have to try it.
FWIW, I bought it used with the Nikon grip included for a very good price... otherwise I wouldn't have made the move.
I think you will like it ... but don't do a strip-down review! :eek:

Back