Finally took the plunge!!

Nah you sell yourself short. 8.5.

You can reprocess once you develop your workflow but the I portent bit I'd say is that you got the shots in the bag!

Nah you sell yourself short. 8.5.

You can reprocess once you develop your workflow but the I portent bit I'd say is that you got the shots in the bag!

Too kind Adrian! I always think there is room to improve!!

Thanks again!

Thanks to everybody who responded/looked and gave valuable input.

I have learned a lot from this first proper foray. My biggest fear was not being able to get pleasing expressions from kids I didn't know and then producing images which I liked but not necessarily the client. A lot of good advice re workflow/pp consistency which I'll take on board moving forward. Client is picking his fave ones this weekend and sent a great email which made me feel a whole heap better!

Thanks again

View attachment 26723

Yes well done. As David says number 2 is the stand out the lighting seems a touch flatter and works better in my opinion. Did you remove the light and add a reflector from below in some?

Gaz
:plus1:

Wowza Shaheed. Love these. You've had some good pointers IMO re processing etc but you definitely have a style/look which works for you and personally I love it. Where are you based? I would love to come for a lesson! Really great stuff. I always enjoy seeing what your going to create. :)

P.s., if you let me come play, you can play with the 85mm F1.4G as per your other thread. ;)

Great set sir. Loving the backgrounds, something I want to improve on my personal shots for 2015. I agree with Bethy about #5 though, a tad distracting.

And another vote for the radial filter/vignette on #3. Marmite wins for me!

Thanks for sharing

Shaheed;

Whatever your doing DON'T change it, these captured portraits are truly magnificent. Excellent quality and clarity, excellent talent my friend....!! Stunning.

wOOOw

Regards;
Peter
Scotland

Wowza Shaheed. Love these. You've had some good pointers IMO re processing etc but you definitely have a style/look which works for you and personally I love it. Where are you based? I would love to come for a lesson! Really great stuff. I always enjoy seeing what your going to create. :)

P.s., if you let me come play, you can play with the 85mm F1.4G as per your other thread. ;)

Cheers Gareth

Thanks for your kind words. It's more likely I'd be learning stuff from you rather than the other way round!!

Learned a lot from the whole process and this thread has been useful for me in terms of workflow/pp.

I'm just down the road from Ikea in Leeds. If I get some free time then I'll be in touch - it's looking a bit manic at the mo with work and we are just having some building work done in the new year (eek) - I'm very keen to get another large grey wall somewhere!!

I think I'm pretty sold on the 85 f1.4 (I know I'll always hanker after it and I shoot a lot at f1.4!!)

Thanks again

Shaheed

Great set sir. Loving the backgrounds, something I want to improve on my personal shots for 2015. I agree with Bethy about #5 though, a tad distracting.

And another vote for the radial filter/vignette on #3. Marmite wins for me!

Thanks for sharing

Thanks for looking

Agreed about that particular shot. I ended up toning it down. From the 50 or so shots, they chose two from the above. They got ten shots overall (for a bargain price IMHO) and were ecstatic with them. I was happy with what I delivered to them, whilst having learned some things for next time!

Strangely, I took a pic of my mate when he came round last Friday and this has led to more random interest in family shots from one of his friends!

I'm planning on doing a series of pics of the school dads to add some variety to the pics I take (ie not just kids!)

Thanks again

Shaheed

Shaheed;

Whatever your doing DON'T change it, these captured portraits are truly magnificent. Excellent quality and clarity, excellent talent my friend....!! Stunning.

wOOOw

Regards;
Peter
Scotland

Cheers

You'll make a grown man blush!! There's always room for improving and the crit section here is a large part of the reason my pics have improved over the years.

Thanks again

Shaheed

Excellent as ever Shaheed :cool: I think the first is my favourite, there's something very classy about it that i can't quite put my finger on. Keep up the good work :)

Excellent as ever Shaheed :cool: I think the first is my favourite, there's something very classy about it that i can't quite put my finger on. Keep up the good work :)

Cheers Andy.

The parents really liked the colour version - they're printing it out big for their lounge.

I was lucky to have two brilliant subjects. We were just having a chat really whilst I was snapping away. I always try (not always succeeding mind!) to get some sort if interaction going as, for me, it leads to better shots!

Thanks for the kind words!

Shaheed

Mate these are spot on. I mean I know I'm sort of an ongoing fan but seriously, they are streets ahead of so many so called pro portrait togs. Nobody would hesitate in paying for these in my opinion. I'm even tempted to ask you to come and shoot my son to be quite honest.

You rock on lad, I think you have this down to an art.

Shaheed beautiful images!

I think you will do very well taking photographs for others I would be delighted with these as a client.

No crit, at all. Just wanted to say that they are very well done. Love number 3, and I like the vignetting too.

Beautiful set of shots and the lighting is just superb. You set a high bar for the rest of us to aim for!

Last edited:
I have throughly enjoyed all your work here. You inspired me to start my journey in off camera flash whilst watching your lighting journey.
Carry on clicking

I have throughly enjoyed all your work here. You inspired me to start my journey in off camera flash whilst watching your lighting journey.
Carry on clicking

Cheers!

The community is good like that - a kit of people here inspired me and no doubt you will in turn inspire somebody else!!

Slight development at the mo which unfortunately will put my plans on hold. Building work at our house for 3 months so not able to start until April. Which might work ok as it'll coincide with the start of a new tax year anyway (trying to look for positives!!)

Shaheed, I follow a lot of pro photographers on flickr and online generally and I would say the quality and look of these portrait matches some of the best I see. Ok, maybe a few tweaks here and there but nothing that are worth mentioning. Keep going and look forward to more of your work. A big thumbs up from me.

Shaheed, I follow a lot of pro photographers on flickr and online generally and I would say the quality and look of these portrait matches some of the best I see. Ok, maybe a few tweaks here and there but nothing that are worth mentioning. Keep going and look forward to more of your work. A big thumbs up from me.

Cheers Marcus!

Really appreciate that, especially from yourself!

It's funny, was just mentioning about how other people's work, without naming anybody in my post, inspired me to get better (mank/Bethy/yourself) and you subsequently commented!

This client got the pictures framed and hung and sent me pictures of them. She was really delighted. I was pretty happy too (a nod to the as long as the customer likes them thread!) but always room to improve!

Looking forward to starting once building work has finished in the house.......the wife is wondering why I want a large wall painted grey

Cheers Marcus!

Really appreciate that, especially from yourself!

It's funny, was just mentioning about how other people's work, without naming anybody in my post, inspired me to get better (mank/Bethy/yourself) and you subsequently commented!

This client got the pictures framed and hung and sent me pictures of them. She was really delighted. I was pretty happy too (a nod to the as long as the customer likes them thread!) but always room to improve!

Looking forward to starting once building work has finished in the house.......the wife is wondering why I want a large wall painted grey

Well I am truly flattered to be included in the list of people that inspired you, I look at your work and think I need to get my own act together to improve. Funny old world!

Back