Finally upgraded - What Nikon lens for Landscape?

Name
Jim
Edit My Images
Yes
I've ordered a d5300 and ditched my Lumix G3. Which lens would people recommend for landscape & everyday shooting? I'm thinking something like the 16-85. I don't really need anything ultra-wide, to be honest i struggle with filling the frame with interesting content and prefer to pick subjects from the environment, rather than try to 'get it all in'. My phone is equiv. to 24mm and that is probably too wide most of the time...

Last edited:
I always found the 16-85 to be a good Walkabout lens when I had a D7000. Only downside would be the slow aperture.

Well the lens came today and looks/feels very nice, but I've cancelled the d5300. I'm not convinced I like the lack of buttons - The G3 i had was by no means perfect, but the external controls became second nature. I've ordered a used D7000 instead. I hope I've done the right thing. I'm sure together they're twice the weight of my g3 - I think I need to go on a diet!

D7000 was probably my favourite body actually! Loved it

Any lens you have! I've shot Landscape's with 80-200

Well I just got home from work and had received my D7000, tried it and it doesn't f*&"ing work! Every image is bright red.

Last edited:
Where you get it from?

Where you get it from?

Ebay. The seller looked Kosher enough; lots of sales, goods feedback etc. They've obviously not tested it thoroughly. The odd thing is though, it took a couple of normal pictures before going weird on me.

I even thought it might be some issue with the lens, so I took it off and took a picture without it. The image sans lens came out bright red as well.

Last edited:
I'm annoyed with myself. It said 'only 42 shutter actuations' and my first thought was I bet there's something wrong with it. Then I talked myself round thinking it would be something else - unwanted gift, too heavy, too complicated or whatever...

Ebay. The seller looked Kosher enough; lots of sales, goods feedback etc. They've obviously not tested it thoroughly. The odd thing is though, it took a couple of normal pictures before going weird on me.

I even thought it might be some issue with the lens, so I took it off and took a picture without it. The image sans lens came out bright red as well.

You should be able to get free return postage via paypal - assuming you paid by paypal - if the seller does not pay for return

Weird about getting red images. Worth running a out of camera jpeg through an online shutter count website too. 48 seems far too low for D7000.

I'm thinking it only has the low shutter count because it's faulty. It's perhaps a customer return that's found its way to ebay somehow.

Edit: just run it through a counter and it's now 92 after trying to get it working.

Last edited:
Rightly or wrongly, I've made a snap decision and gone for the Sigma 17-70.
Good choice

Edit, bit late posting this should have read more thread. What's you next move after the red D7000?

Last edited:
You wanna see the downstairs ones :) - It's an old fella who lives on his own so I don't think he'll be upgrading any time soon.

And I was gonna give them a business card! [emoji23]

Back