Finally upgraded!

Edit My Images
Yes
After owning a D40 for the last four years, decided to upgrade. Got a D90, which I should get early next week.

Need to decide what lenses to get (I've got a spare kit lens I can use, but only m/f)

I'm thinking of the Sigma 28-70 2.8, or possibly the Tamron 17-50 2.8. Although I'm more often wanting more than 50mm and don't often go right down to 18mm.

Apart from the focal length, are these lenses fairly evenly matched? They seem both around the same price second hand.

I also need a telephoto, I had the kit 55-200 on the d40. Which was ok, but I always found I had to crop at 200mm. I want this for motosports, bike racing, cars etc etc. It was also quite slow at focusing.

Had my mind set on a 70-300mm nikon VR. Although my mate had a d90 also, he has bought a 70-300 G (I think) which is more around £70 as opposed to £300 for the newer vr.

Would the cheaper lens be sufficient for motorport? Or if anyone else can recommend a lens, don't want to spend much more than £300 though. It can be a prime. I did noticed a 300mm F4 for sale @ £395 or something, but looking at reviews it stated the 70-300mm vr would suit most people's needs better.

Jon

Don't take this as gospel, but I'd imagine that you could compare, in a sense, those two lenses because because the Siggy would originally be designed as a 35mm (later FF) optic, whereas the Tammy is designed to offer a similar effective focal length on crop sensor digital bodies.

I haven't used the Siggy so can't comment on that - www.photozone.de might have a review (it's a good resource site for optic buying). I use the Tammy day-in, day-out in a professional manner and can't speak highly enough of it. Bought mine used for £160 and it's been flawless.

As for long zooms, I've had a quick play with the 70-300mm VR and it's a good lens. It's no pro level lens but it's good nonetheless for a very reasonable price.

The VR 70-300 seems to be, by all accounts, well worth the extra money over the other non-VR options.

I upgraded earlier this year to a D90 from my D60 and it has been a brilliant decision.

I got the camera with the kit lens but always had my heart set on a 'quicker' lens.

I now have the Tamron 17-50 non VC paired up with it and it's a cracking combination.

I also have the 70-300 VR which is a nice weight balance on the D90, especially since I got my grip. For £300 s/h you'll really struggle to get a better lens.

I've finished off my kit with the 35mm 1.8.

Enjoy the step up mate, it's worth every penny!

How about the Sigma 24-70mm f2.8 rather than the 28-70mm?

Little bit wider at least and a decent lens.

Forgot about that! Never seen many others for sale, so didn't think of that range.

Going to borrow my mate's 70-300mm to have a play, at least I can see what it's like in it' intended use.

Oddly enough a 24-70 sigma 2.8 is in the for sale section.

It's my mate's wedding in a few weeks, I'm invited to the reception, so good
chance to test it out. (Assuming I've got a lens by then)

IIRC the pro tog's are only there for the wedding itself, so I won't be getting in anyone's way.

Back