FINALLY

R

RobC

..."you need to step up/step down, the DOF is a little off, pink tinge here, blown bit there....." I never thought I'd ever achieve what I wanted, I don't learn from reading, I'm a do-er and yesterday afternoon I finally got what I see as a tack sharp, well exposed photograph. Admittedly it took 3 attempts but at least it was'nt a shot of my coffee mug (what I'd been practising on all moring!).

Harvey2.jpg

Exposure time: 0.040 s (1/25)
Aperture: f/6.3
ISO equiv.: 100

Did you use a tripod? as 1/25th is a bit slow for handheld, especially with a focal length of 200mm.

Also I would have cropped the drainpipe off on the left and had a much closer shot of the cat itself.

And dont forget that autofocus can be buggered up with fur and hair of animals. Best to use manual focus for that.

But like you said, its fun trying and you have exposed the black fur very well as it often gets blocked right out, well done. (y)

Did you use a tripod? as 1/25th is a bit slow for handheld, especially with a focal length of 200mm.

Also I would have cropped the drainpipe off on the left and had a much closer shot of the cat itself.

And dont forget that autofocus can be buggered up with fur and hair of animals. Best to use manual focus for that.

But like you said, its fun trying and you have exposed the black fur very well as it often gets blocked right out, well done. (y)

:shake: No tripod, handheld.

Thanks for the comments though - more for me to remember in future :bonk:

:shake: No tripod, handheld.

Thanks for the comments though - more for me to remember in future :bonk:

To handhold.. you need roughly the inverse of the focal length as your shutter speed. Ie if you had a focal length of 200mm you would need about 1/200th as your shutterspeed or thereabouts, this is to minimize camera shake. Its all very well your subject being still, but can you say the same about your hands!! :D

Well done, I know how difficult it is to get a shot of a black cat. Lovely cat too.

Back