Find myself stuck in a rut!!

Name
Craig
Edit My Images
No
I've been doing motorsport photography for about 3 years now, however last season was really where things have taken off, I started to follow the British GT, then went to a few BTCC, then started to follow the VAG trophy and by the end of the season I had also been to the Britcar into the night race at Brands as well. I post all photos up on FB and tag as many people in as possible and I have got a lot of encouraging comments, however this year I feel that all my shots are looking the same and it has been mentioned, not directly at my shots, but most magazines etc don't like to see over edited shots. I have uploaded a few shots taken from this season and would really appreciate and CC people have. I am relatively new to photography, only really started about 4 years ago I have basically learned from my mistakes and I am currently shooting what I like and this I think might be the problem. Any help/ advice/CC would be more than welcome and appreciated

#1 BTCC at Brands
IMG_5039.jpg

#2 BTCC at Brands
IMG_5913.jpg

#3 Britcar endurance at Silverstone
IMG_7897.jpg

#4 Britcar endurance at Silverstone
IMG_7695.jpg

#5 British GT Oulton Park
IMG_8280.jpg

#6 British GT Oulton Park
IMG_8879.jpg

#7 British GT Rockingham
BWIMG_0200.jpg

#8 British GT Rockingham
IMG_0248.jpg

Hey mate... I know exactly what you mean, I think it's something most of us go through and continue to go through. From these shots it's obvious you know how to use the camera, so what you're asking about is how to "see" alternatives. The best advice I can give is try and deconstruct the work of other photographers that produce work that inspires you... while in the beginning that will probably feel like you are ripping off the ideas of others, it ends up with you being able to build your style/techniques and apply it in ways unique to you. People often talk about originality in photography, in reality, it's all been done before so I wouldn't get too hung up on trying to reinvent the wheel.

Having worked media on a number of occasion in the past couple of years I've been amazed at how much mediocrity exists at the professional level, that's not to say I'm any better, I just had this idea that the level of skill would be a huge step up... that said there are numerous very talented people in some of those media rooms that face the exact same conditions as you, with the same or lesser equipment and come away with images that put the rest of us to shame. These are the people to really study and try and learn their approach... some names to get you started that you may or may not know: Nick Dungan, Andrew Gibson, Jayson Fong, Rob Gray, Shurazero Hide, Rajan Jangda, Xynamic (Gary & Pedro especially), Shivraj Gohil, Andrew Hone, Jamey Price, Darren Heath (obviously)... there's many many more.

Just looking at some of these shots you've posted (they are a little too garish in the saturation department - maybe tone that down a touch), #1 is perfectly fine but it's been done by just about every photographer that's ever been to Brands, it's always going to be that way #4 and #5 would benefit from less distracting backgrounds, it's tough but sometimes you need to abandon a spot if the background doesn't work... this is speaking purely artistically as if you shoot an interesting moment, a lock up, an accident, a pass etc... it happens where it happens and is what journalists want (nice backgrounds, blur and motion is not that pressing for their uses, unless you want to be in the arty sections of magazines anyway) #6 is fine, but the square doesn't really bring much to the shot and it probably should be straightened ... I like a wonky shot but it needs to look intentional. #7 hmmm selective desaturation has been done to the point of cliche, that's not to say it's a bad image at all... but what does it really do for the image, except say 'I'm trying to make this more interesting than it is' that's not me judging you, but that's what a lot of people automatically think when they see this kind of treatment. #8 you chopped the front and back, it's all over... we all do that;)

There's a lot to be said for shooting to a brief to make you work a certain way, but personally, I'd argue that being completely free to experiment is much much better for developing your vision and techniques.... you can always write your own brief before you go to an event. I.e must have a start shot, must get an image of every car, must shoot at least 3 predecided locations, must get a finish shot (if you really want to nerd out, you can add must process all images and upload before the end of the day). But there's variations too, you could go to an event and document it in the form of a story of a driver or team and just focus on that so paddock stuff, track stuff, driver stuff (difficult as a spectator but not impossible for some of the smaller series).

Last edited:
I think you could drop the saturation level a bit on most if not all your shots, but that's just my opinion.
Technically there's nothing wrong at all with any of them. Like Graphix has mentioned perhaps trying to get more variation and not just get the normal images will challenge you to think out of the box. I would like to say I'd be chuffed to have taken the above images!!

Hey mate... I know exactly what you mean, I think it's something most of us go through and continue to go through. From these shots it's obvious you know how to use the camera, so what you're asking about is how to "see" alternatives. The best advice I can give is try and deconstruct the work of other photographers that produce work that inspires you... while in the beginning that will probably feel like you are ripping off the ideas of others, it ends up with you being able to build your style/techniques and apply it in ways unique to you. People often talk about originality in photography, in reality, it's all been done before so I wouldn't get too hung up on trying to reinvent the wheel.

Having worked media on a number of occasion in the past couple of years I've been amazed at how much mediocrity exists at the professional level, that's not to say I'm any better, I just had this idea that the level of skill would be a huge step up... that said there are numerous very talented people in some of those media rooms that face the exact same conditions as you, with the same or lesser equipment and come away with images that put the rest of us to shame. These are the people to really study and try and learn their approach... some names to get you started that you may or may not know: Nick Dungan, Andrew Gibson, Jayson Fong, Rob Gray, Shurazero Hide, Rajan Jangda, Xynamic (Gary & Pedro especially), Shivraj Gohil, Andrew Hone, Jamey Price, Darren Heath (obviously)... there's many many more.

Just looking at some of these shots you've posted (they are a little too garish in the saturation department - maybe tone that down a touch), #1 is perfectly fine but it's been done by just about every photographer that's ever been to Brands, it's always going to be that way #4 and #5 would benefit from less distracting backgrounds, it's tough but sometimes you need to abandon a spot if the background doesn't work... this is speaking purely artistically as if you shoot an interesting moment, a lock up, an accident, a pass etc... it happens where it happens and is what journalists want (nice backgrounds, blur and motion is not that pressing for their uses, unless you want to be in the arty sections of magazines anyway) #6 is fine, but the square doesn't really bring much to the shot at it probably should be straightened ... I like a wonky shot but it needs to look intentional. #7 hmmm selective desaturation has been done to the point of cliche, that's not to say it's a bad image at all... but what does it really do for the image, except say 'I'm trying to make this more interesting that it is' that's not me judging you, but that's what a lot of people automatically think when they see this kind of treatment. #8 you chopped the front and back, it's all over... we all do that [emoji16]

There's a lot to be said for shooting to a brief to make you work a certain way, but personally, I'd argue that being completely free to experiment is much much better for developing your vision and techniques.... you can always write your own brief before you go to an event. I.e must have a start shot, must get an image of every car, must shoot at least 3 predecided locations, must get a finish shot (if you really want to nerd out, you can add must process all images and upload before the end of the day). But there's variations too, you could go to an event and document it in the form of a story of a driver or team and just focus on that so paddock stuff, track stuff, driver stuff (difficult as a spectator but not impossible for some of the smaller series).
Really appreciate your honesty and you have given me a lot to think about. I'll look into the names you have mentioned.

I think you could drop the saturation level a bit on most if not all your shots, but that's just my opinion.
Technically there's nothing wrong at all with any of them. Like Graphix has mentioned perhaps trying to get more variation and not just get the normal images will challenge you to think out of the box. I would like to say I'd be chuffed to have taken the above images!!
When I 1st started off I noticed that most of the work of others photographers was 'grey' looking that is why I have tried to make my photos stand out, that being said recently I have been questioning my work, I'll look into the saturation and also the vibrancy as well.

When I 1st started off I noticed that most of the work of others photographers was 'grey' looking that is why I have tried to make my photos stand out, that being said recently I have been questioning my work, I'll look into the saturation and also the vibrancy as well.

Don't question yourself mate - that's not my intention, just to bump you out of the rut :) You're right that a lot of togs don't consider the post process enough - just be careful not to go too far the other way (I bought a colorimeter because I was getting paranoid I wasn't seeing what other people are seeing) - the greens are often the hardest to keep under control (especially for Nikon Cameras from what i've seen) - so just somthing to be mindful of next time out :)

Don't question yourself mate - that's not my intention, just to bump you out of the rut :) You're right that a lot of togs don't consider the post process enough - just be careful not to go too far the other way (I bought a colorimeter because I was getting paranoid I wasn't seeing what other people are seeing) - the greens are often the hardest to keep under control (especially for Nikon Cameras from what i've seen) - so just somthing to be mindful of next time out :)
Maybe I should invest in one as well.

Maybe I should invest in one as well.

For me it was all about the screen, when you start getting paranoid you really start to notice how different monitors render images - I used an iPad as a baseline :confused: again though don't get too hung up on it... it's all just experience, just keep doing what you're doing, enjoy the process :)

Back