Finder on a MacBook?

Edit My Images
Yes
I've got a bit of a weird problem on my MacBook - and I'm hoping a genius can help.

If I've got a few windows open for example, and I've got a finder window open with multiple tabs, and then flick to a different screen on a different app, and then hit the finder icon in the dock at the bottom, it will then go back to finder - but open a new window too!

The opening of a new window is really annoying - and I'm sure it wasn't like this on my old MacBook. Or am I imagining it? I've attache a video here, showing me on the Finder, then going to a different window, and then hitting finder again.. Any advice would be so so so much appreciated as its driving me round the bend!

make sure that when you navigate to Finder > Preferences > General, the option "Always open folders in a new window" is unchecked.

make sure that when you navigate to Finder > Preferences > General, the option "Always open folders in a new window" is unchecked.

Thanks - mine had the “open folders in tabs instead of new windows” which is checked but doesn’t have the options you say...

You don’t say what version of MacOS you are using. I’m on Catalina and what you describe does not happen on mine. I just tried it. I never do it that way and instead have a mouse button assigned to Exposé and then pick the WorkSpace/App I want.

You don’t say what version of MacOS you are using. I’m on Catalina and what you describe does not happen on mine. I just tried it. I never do it that way and instead have a mouse button assigned to Exposé and then pick the WorkSpace/App I want.

I’m on Big Sur; got an update pending so going to see what that does! I’m sure it never used to happen with my other phone fir sure!

I’ve found Big Sur to sometimes be a bit odd in the Finder. Most recent it just stopped listing my external drives in the sidebar, whatever I did.

i fixed it by deleting the Finder Prefs.

Yeah not my favorite! Well, I’ll be headed to the Apple store sometime this month or next so will query it with them.

Thanks for your advice guys

In case you decide to delete Finder Prefs:

Finder. Hold Option and click on the Go menu. Choose Library. Then you'll need the Preferences Directory and, when sorted by Date modified, 'com.apple.finder.plist' should be near the top as it gets updated frequently. Delete this (as long as you don't empty the Bin, you will be able to put it back)

Restart and see if that makes a difference.

If not, you can just find the deleted prefs in the bin and put them back.

Back