Finding a model TFP/CD - difficult!

Edit My Images
No
A mixed post this one of frustration and surprise.

I've recently taken a big step forward with my photography and decided to do a series of studio shoots (at my expense) and have been looking for models to shoot.

My god, I can't believe how difficult it is to find someone! I've spent most of the day scouting through local results on Purestorm and Modelmayhem with very little success. Between all the wannabes who have neither looks nor talent, and masses of out of date profiles, there seems to be very few people actually out there who I might even be able to contact, let alone those who might be interested in a free studio session.

Anyone else find this stuff tough going or just me?

Not really. Last casting I put on MM had 87 applicants.

There needs to be something in it for the model so either you need a killer portfolio, an interesting idea or money to guarantee a great model.

If it's one of your first studio sessions then I'd strongly advise paying a model. Not only is it fair - you'll get better shots and a better portfolio faster.

I've paid for one, and booked another paid model as I agree, for the first sessions it's better to have someone who knows what they're doing than a relative newcomer.

I was just hugely surprised at the distinct lack of quality people locally. I've only sent a message to one so far with a tentative enquiry, but I think at the moment my shortlist stands at 7 across all of Bedfordshire and Hertfordshire!

Think I'm going to have to put my hand in my wallet, or stop being so picky!

Don't stop being picky, there's no point shooting a model for the sake of it, the right/wrong model will make/break a photo.

Not really. Last casting I put on MM had 87 applicants.

There needs to be something in it for the model so either you need a killer portfolio, an interesting idea or money to guarantee a great model.

If it's one of your first studio sessions then I'd strongly advise paying a model. Not only is it fair - you'll get better shots and a better portfolio faster.

(y) Agreed.
Most 'models' who say that they're interested in tfp are useless and probably won't even bother to show up - but there are plenty of first class models around who will respond, and who will turn up, but only if there's something in it for them.

You want a free model so that you can develop your skills - but what will a model actually get from a photographer who needs a model to develop his or her skills?

If you can't demonstrate that you're able to produce shots that will actually help her to get paid work, you need to offer paid work instead.

Back