Fine control of linear gradient rotation in Lightroom?

Name
Toby
Edit My Images
No
Sometimes when I'm using the linear gradient in lightroom I want it to be at a very specific angle and when I try to rotate the gradient it's very difficult to get precise control and I'm forever going back and forth trying to get it to a specific point. Is there a way to get more fine control of it so that you can rotate in increments? I know with things like the curve tool I can hold option (on mac) and drag the marker and it moves in single digit steps but I've tried this with the linear gradient rotate and it doesn't have an effect. The only thing that seems to affect it is holding shift but this just makes sure it's perfectly horizontal.

If I need a fine adjustment, just move the centre pont of the gradient to one side of its extent; the you have the most control moving the angle of the line at the other end

If I need a fine adjustment, just move the centre pont of the gradient to one side of its extent; the you have the most control moving the angle of the line at the other end
Ahh, didn’t realise you could do that. I’ll give it a go, thanks for the tip.

Apologies for the typos in my reply above ( I will plead I was using my phone )
Haha, no worries.

I've just tried what you suggested and it didn't actually make any difference tbh. However, you gave me an idea and I've found that if I click the mouse when the rotation arrows appear, and then drag the arrow icon to the top or bottom of the screen (depending on which direction the filter is) it then gives you much finer control :clap:

I think that is what I was suggesting

With the centre point over to one side, hover your cursor over the other end of the central axis of the gradient and you will see a pair of arrows appear.

You can then grab the axis to contol the tilt accurately from that end. The centre point remains fixed.

If you need even finer control, you can zoom in and move the angle of the gradient axis to within a very few pixels.

I never bother with using the circular handle at the bottom of the gradient (actually I forgot it exists!)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-04-28 at 19.36.11.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-04-28 at 19.36.11.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0752.jpeg
    IMG_0752.jpeg
    60.6 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0753.jpeg
    IMG_0753.jpeg
    75.1 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0754.jpeg
    IMG_0754.jpeg
    61.7 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
I think that is what I was suggesting

With the centre point over to one side, hover your cursor over the other end of the central axis of the gradient and you will see a pair of arrows appear.

You can then grab the axis to contol the tilt accurately from that end. The centre point remains fixed.

If you need even finer control, you can zoom in and move the angle of the gradient axis to within a very few pixels.

I never bother with using the circular handle at the bottom of the gradient (actually I forgot it exists!)
Ahh it looks different to me, maybe because I’m on Mac or Maybe it’s a Lightroom classic CC thing but when I tried I could only move the arrows away from the lines and not along/perpendicular to them.

I may be misunderstanding but either way with your help I’ve figured out how to get what I wanted so thanks (y)

You may also find a mouse with finer resolution helps. I use a nominally gaming mouse, and that seems to offer more precise control than some older 'ordinary' mice.

You may also find a mouse with finer resolution helps. I use a nominally gaming mouse, and that seems to offer more precise control than some older 'ordinary' mice.
I use a trackpad (y)

Back