Finlandia Trophy

Name
Tomas
Edit My Images
No
What a weekend! Probably a bit too busy but saying that I really enjoyed myself. When I can enjoy myself at work, I count myself very lucky.

The competition ran from Friday until Sunday, I was shooting for a Finnish skating magazine and also for the ISU, a bit of a change from last year and much more demanding.

My very kind friend who works for a news paper in Tampere allowed me to use her 70-200mm f/2.8, 300mm f/2.8 and also a 400mm f/2.8!
My first taste of lenses that big and expensive.
It was a great experience using those kind of ranges (300 & 400mm).
The 70-200 or the update is going on my wish list, superb colours and lightning accurate AF to boot.

Anyhoo, here's some photies...

Ari-Pekka Nurmenkari, Finland
_TDW6983-Edit.jpg

Sarah Meier, Switzerland
_TDW7356-Edit.jpg

Jenni Vähämaa, Finland
_TDW7627-Edit.jpg

Susanna Pöykiö, Finland
_TDW8956-Edit.jpg

Susanna Pöykiö, Finland
_TDW8968-Edit.jpg

Laura Lepistö, Finland
_TDW9208-Edit.jpg

Penny Coomes / Nick Buckland, Great Britain
_TDW7732-Edit.jpg

Sinead / John Kerr, Great Britain
_TDW7767-Edit.jpg

Carolina / Daniel Hermann, Germany
_TDW7974-Edit.jpg

Carolina / Daniel Hermann, Germany
_TDW9461-Edit.jpg

Last edited:
Thought you would be there Thomas.. did think about coming myself as well.. but other work took priority (looking at your shots I have to say, unfortunately).

Very good shots and done well with the exposure and focusing on these..
Super shots and love them!!

Good practice for yourself as I am sure you'll be at the World Champs next spring!

(p.s We still haven't managed to meet up in Helsinki...:nono: )

Thought you would be there Thomas.. did think about coming myself as well.. but other work took priority (looking at your shots I have to say, unfortunately).

Very good shots and done well with the exposure and focusing on these..
Super shots and love them!!

Good practice for yourself as I am sure you'll be at the World Champs next spring!

(p.s We still haven't managed to meet up in Helsinki...:nono: )

Terve!

It's a shame you couldn't get to FT mate, we did have a good laugh.
Funny you mention the champs, I've already been booked for the EC 09, I just hope my mates going to be there to lend me lovely lenses!!!

P.S, indeed! We must meet up soon, let me know when your around and lets grab a coffee (y)

Terve!

It's a shame you couldn't get to FT mate, we did have a good laugh.
Funny you mention the champs, I've already been booked for the EC 09, I just hope my mates going to be there to lend me lovely lenses!!!

P.S, indeed! We must meet up soon, let me know when your around and lets grab a coffee (y)

Good for you to be booked for the Champs... will have to see if accreditation is not too hard to come by for them...
Maybe you just need to get some lenses of your own by then...(y).. they won't cost that much:help:

Excellent stuff.. I wish I could attend events like that but nothing around these parts... Love em!!

Amazing shots bruv! Still think my fav is the one of Sarah Meier and I really like the one of Jenni Vähämaa.

Some really great poses caught and the colour of the costumes against the ice is fantastic! Crips ! Love it x (y)(y)(y)

Cheers Bro! I love that word = crips. Always makes me chuckle!

Excellent stuff.. I wish I could attend events like that but nothing around these parts... Love em!!

Ah well see, all the more reason to pay us a visit and go for a pint and a chat :beer:

Nice and you can see the quality in the glass.

Cheers Pete! Indeed the glass is awesome, I hope I'm lucky enough to get another chance to borrow it :naughty:

Last edited:
If only helsinki wasn't so far away, If only I would get in a plane, If only I was rich....oh hum :)

If only helsinki wasn't so far away, If only I would get in a plane, If only I was rich....oh hum :)

Helsinki isn't that far... it's only 40 minutes down the road by car..:LOL:

Maybe TP should try to organize a 'Sport Photography Tour' in to Finland.

Helsinki isn't that far... it's only 40 minutes down the road by car..:LOL:

Maybe TP should try to organize a 'Sport Photography Tour' in to Finland.

That would be real great, flights can be very cheap too, one year I managed to get a round trip for £180! That was with KLM, apparently though, a Ryan Air ticket can cost less than £50 return if you willing to go via a London airport?

Back