Fire in Covent Garden

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
Two months after getting my first DSLR, and 3 days after getting more than the kit lens for it, I'm still trying to find my "style". I'm pleased with this though because for the first time I was able to see what I wanted from the original unprocessed shot, and achieve it in Lightroom.

But, I'm sure it could be a lot better, so please let me know what you think :)

20111228-161948-2462.jpg by MarkBerry1963, on Flickr

I can't thInk of any better way to phrase it; perfectly reasonable question :)

It's the reflection of a Covent Garden building, lit up for Christmas, in the panels of a polished aluminium 1950's American diner car.

Mark

Quite a good idea but the ISO does seem a little too high.

Happy new year!

Wow, that's fascinating Dave and Josh, thanks. Here's why:

The original was naturally noisy because it was shot at ISO800 so I could hand hold the camera at night-time. It then became even more so when I processed it because it's heavily cropped from the 10.2 MP original, because I applied no noise reduction (I don't understand the NR sliders in LR properly yet!), and because I actually ADDED some grain!

The idea was to get a "painted on canvas" look to it, while at the same time not completely losing all clues about what it is (hence I really like the rivets), but maybe I went too far.

Here are two more versions, one without the grain added, and one without the grain AND with the luminance NR slider set to 100:

20111228-161948-2465.jpg by MarkBerry1963, on Flickr

20111228-161948-2466.jpg by MarkBerry1963, on Flickr

Last edited:
The final one is the best, you can actually figure out what it is :p

Good shot :)

Cheers Joshwain, on reflection (sic!) I agree!

No problem happygolucky, each to their own :) It IS messy, but I like the colours and the fact that it's a bit of a puzzle.

Back