Fire photography

Its all about experimenting.

You can get numerous different effects with different shutter speeds.

slow shutter (1/10) at night will give an afterburner type look while 1/100 or faster will freeze the fire.

Never tried in the day :)

Some examples.

P1010233.jpg

P1030123.jpg

P1030095.jpg

I took a few pics of the last years bonfires, but I never got anything worth showing anyone. I did like how the fire was frozen.

I would classify it as very similar to water... soft water vs frozen water, depending on the effect you are looking for. Definitely worth experimenting to find out what works for you.

I would classify it as very similar to water... soft water vs frozen water, depending on the effect you are looking for. Definitely worth experimenting to find out what works for you.

Yes, just like water. Your eye has a shutter speed, if you can call it that, of around 1/20sec in average conditions. If you can replicate that in your exposure by adjusting f/number and ISO, then it will look fairly natural.

And like water, if you use a shorter speed it will look more frozen and spikey, while longer speeds will progressively blur the flames into one smooth tone.

Your eye has a shutter speed, if you can call it that, of around 1/20sec in average conditions.

Where did you hear/read that? I've often wondered what the equivalent speed of the eye/brain is and i've not been able to find any info although personally I did put it in the region of 1/20-1/30 sec

Where did you hear/read that? I've often wondered what the equivalent speed of the eye/brain is and i've not been able to find any info although personally I did put it in the region of 1/20-1/30 sec

if you watch something on a tv or monitor with less than 20fps then you can start to see the motion is jerky. Supposidly the eye cant tell the difference between something that is 20fps+
This is why tv and films are generally filmed at 24fps or 25fps over here in the UK. (yes america is different, and yes it makes problems ;) )

Here you go, :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Meant to post this for MikeyB

firedunnikierroadkdy230.jpg

As stated above it depends what effect your after, here's one I took last year:

Fire15(framed-small).jpg

EXIF:

Exif.jpg

rgrebby has explained it in post #9 :)

Somewhere around 800 ISO, 1/30 shutter speed, and wide open aperture gives nice results for the blurred look

n518870122_3581181_4710.jpg

I had to shoot at around 1/500 to freeze the flames though

n518870122_3581201_9947.jpg

Back