Firecrest or Nisi Filter Holder (inc polariser)

Name
Mike
Edit My Images
Yes
Does anyone have experience of using both the Hitech Firecrest and the Nisi filter holder system (100mm) that includes the polariser?

i.e.

Firecrest
http://www.formatt-hitech.com/hardware/firecrestholder

Nisi
https://www.amazon.co.uk/NiSi-System-Adaptor-compatible-Singh-Ray/dp/B017SD5OIY

Both seem to have fairly similar systems, but potentially seem to be different issues with either of them.

Firecrest
Main potential issue seems to be vignetting. I've read that can vignette from 20mm. I'd be using at 16mm on full frame. Hitech's solution appears to be to bring out additional rotating rings instead of using step up rings
i.e. http://www.formatt-hitech.com/hardware/rotating-adaptor-rings-for-firecrest-100mm-holder.

However this costs another £40 bringing the Firecrest solution to £190 (£150 for the holder etc + £40 for the additional rotating ring).

The firecrest polariser however is supposed to be extremely good.

Has anyone used the firecrest holder on a wide angle lens on a full frame camera? If so did you experience vignetting or not?

Nisi
There are several reviews on Amazon that state that there is a fault with the mechanism that attaches the holder, that means there is a risk of the holder falling off therefore putting any filters in it at risk of breaking. Seems to be other people however who have not had this issue, so could be user error.

There doesn't appear to be the issue with vignetting though on the Nisi which states it can be used at 16mm on full frame and 10mm on crop cameras

Does anyone have experience of using both the Hitech Firecrest and the Nisi filter holder system (100mm) that includes the polariser?

Nisi
There are several reviews on Amazon that state that there is a fault with the mechanism that attaches the holder, that means there is a risk of the holder falling off therefore putting any filters in it at risk of breaking. Seems to be other people however who have not had this issue, so could be user error.

There doesn't appear to be the issue with vignetting though on the Nisi which states it can be used at 16mm on full frame and 10mm on crop cameras

It's definitely not user error, but I believe has now been fixed. I'm a NISI v5 holder user and have used NISI filters for around 2.5 years now from the V1 filter. The initial v5 filter production run had what I believe to be a design error (I was one of the reviewers on Amazon). The retention pin that attaches the filter carrier to the mount ring has a small engineered component with a groove in it that was insufficiently deep to securely locate and retain the carrier to the ring. And when inserting a filter, it was quite easy to cause the holder to detach as a consequence (dodgy, with glass filters). I've since ordered a further one and they appear to have made a production change in that the groove is deeper and locates much more securely. I could now wholeheartedly recommend the carrier. It's a superb piece of engineering, and the polariser integration is excellent, and I don't experience vignetting (out to 16mm on FF and out to 10mm on my Fuji). The filters are great - very neutral I've found. The 10stop has a slight (and pleasing) warmth to it, but overall they are all colour neutral. The only downside with them, is that while superb quality, optical glass etc, they aren't cheap. But you get what you pay for etc. I've found Dinodirect to be a good source for the filters (their pictures show the earlier AR series, but they've supplied the IRND series). They don't have a massive range in stock at Dino though.

It's definitely not user error, but I believe has now been fixed. I'm a NISI v5 holder user and have used NISI filters for around 2.5 years now from the V1 filter. The initial v5 filter production run had what I believe to be a design error (I was one of the reviewers on Amazon). The retention pin that attaches the filter carrier to the mount ring has a small engineered component with a groove in it that was insufficiently deep to securely locate and retain the carrier to the ring. And when inserting a filter, it was quite easy to cause the holder to detach as a consequence (dodgy, with glass filters). I've since ordered a further one and they appear to have made a production change in that the groove is deeper and locates much more securely. I could now wholeheartedly recommend the carrier. It's a superb piece of engineering, and the polariser integration is excellent, and I don't experience vignetting (out to 16mm on FF and out to 10mm on my Fuji). The filters are great - very neutral I've found. The 10stop has a slight (and pleasing) warmth to it, but overall they are all colour neutral. The only downside with them, is that while superb quality, optical glass etc, they aren't cheap. But you get what you pay for etc. I've found Dinodirect to be a good source for the filters (their pictures show the earlier AR series, but they've supplied the IRND series). They don't have a massive range in stock at Dino though.

They also now appear to have released a pro version of the v5. Looks like this might be to resolve the issue with the retention pin from the difference in description in Amazon vs the non pro version
https://www.amazon.co.uk/NiSi-Syste...54319&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=nisi+pro+v5&psc=1

They also now appear to have released a pro version of the v5. Looks like this might be to resolve the issue with the retention pin from the difference in description in Amazon vs the non pro version
https://www.amazon.co.uk/NiSi-Syste...54319&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=nisi+pro+v5&psc=1

No, it's the same design on the retention pin. They've changed the filter slot clips, and made the CPL at little easier to unscrew - the latter wasn't really that much of an issue - just a bit fiddly.

The issue I'm describing was with the black circular piece in the below screen grab. On it's edge is a groove. On the early v5 holders, the groove was too shallow. It's that groove that secures the filter carrier to the ring that is ultimately screwed into the lens filter thread. The retention pin is attached to this small disc and sprung loaded. Thus you pull the silver piece, the grooved disc moves outwards, and the carrier can be removed. Because the groove was very shallow, a little forward pressure on the carrier, and the whole lot would pop off onto the floor. My second, much later version of the v5 is completely fine in this respect. It's a good carrier but that pro version is hugely expensive for the minimal changes - I don't feel the need to upgrade! Brexit is clearly having an impact on prices. My v1 carrier was £50ish, the V5 was around £100, now around £120 and the pro £145. Admittedly the V5 comes with a CPL that is very easy to use within the holder, so that justifies a portion of the cost.

I've Screen Shot 2017-01-12 at 21.12.21.png

Back