Firefox Quantum anyone?

Name
'Gramps'
Edit My Images
No
Had this update to Firefox a couple of days ago and it really is a lot better, cleaner and faster ... anyone else got it and noticed?

I don't liike it when closing the last tab open closes the whole browser, so I've edited the config file ... seems good.

It will be interesting to see whether it carries on being a bloaty pig for memory like all the other versions have been.

It will be interesting to see whether it carries on being a bloaty pig for memory like all the other versions have been.

Just checked in task manager. The Firefox app is using 110mb as opposed to Opera which is using 173 mb.

ooh I like the sound of this, I have a little ASUS laptop which is only wee.
I have been using MS Edge as that seemed the slickest

I've noticed how much faster the updated Firefox is,the old one used to hang,but i don't like how much more awkward to find bookmarks/favourites

As with anything new a few new tweaks to get your head around but it's a lot slicker.

.. i don't like how much more awkward to find bookmarks/favourites
I usually have my bookmark menu with the folder structure I've given it, open down the left side, but ctrl-B will open and close it ...

I don't liike it when closing the last tab open closes the whole browser, so I've edited the config file ... seems good.

Care to share which line needs changing? I have always thought it would be nice to change this behaviour.

Anthony

anyone else got it and noticed?
I loaded it the other day as I was having problems with Chrome ( my back up) I use Opera normally.
Rather reluctant TBH as I've tried FF in the past and I was certainly not impressed.
Speaking as a sceptic of FF, this version however is pretty damned good (y)

Care to share which line needs changing? I have always thought it would be nice to change this behaviour.
In FF, go to about:config (type it into the address bar). Scroll down to browser.tabs.closeWindowWithLastTab - which should display the value true on the right. Right-click on the line and choose toggle. The value will change to false. Close the page.

Sorry, typed the wrong string above - Ive just corrected it!

Last edited:
Not a fan. Yes, it's nice and quick but it breaks my favourite extensions and to do something as simple as move the tabs to the bottom I have to hack userChrome.css. If Firefox is becoming even more of a Chrome clone, why not just use the original? Flexibility, ease of configuration and the extensions were the reasons I was still using FF. I've switched to the ESR version until I can be bothered to fiddle with 57 (or whatever it's called by then).

I was given an automatic update this morning.
Can't see what all the fuss is about. There' a slight change is the display but little else seems different. Works just the same as the old one did. Doesn't seem to be any faster or any slower. Only real noticeable change is increased prominence of Facebook option when I open a new tab.

Not going to loose too much sleep over it ( at present!)

Anthony

----------------------------------------------
In FF, go to about:config (type it into the address bar). Scroll down to browser.tabs.closeWindowWithLastTab - which should display the value true on the right. Right-click on the line and choose toggle. The value will change to false. Close the page.
------------------------------------------------

Thank you very much for the info. Much prefer it this way...

Anthony

Last edited:
Impressed so far. I find it noticeably faster than Chrome.

I've been using Firefox since day One after it Morthed from Netscape navigator, for Linux at least I think it to be the best Browser I also find my light weight version of Ubuntu (Lubuntu) makes the slowest oldest computer superfast.

Depends what you mean by "doesn't work" ... it seems to work for me (though I can't log in obviously).

By doesn't work I mean that I can't use the data analysis facility that the website provides: it prevents me entering values and then the curve fitting software won't process entered data afterwards. I had been using that website for analysis until the update this afternoon, and Internet Exploder still works fine with it.

I've been using Firefox since day One after it Morthed from Netscape navigator, for Linux at least I think it to be the best Browser I also find my light weight version of Ubuntu (Lubuntu) makes the slowest oldest computer superfast.

Happy days of the communicator suite & 33.6K dialup via Cable and Wireless. :D This computer is running Mint Mate IIRC, and has just updated to FF 57 - there's a great performance boost on some sites, especially those that feed additional content when one reaches the bottom of the page like ello.

I've used Firefox mainly because I can "Restore previous session" and get exactly the tabs I want to open straight away. This new version just takes me to a "New tab" page and I have to open all of the other tabs again. The new way of listing them only shows 4 tabs, whereas previously it showed about a dozen or so. Any simple hints as how to resolve this gratefully received!

I just close it with my tabs present and when I re-open they are all there still. Have a look in the menu options area and make sure the button beside Show your windows and tabs from last time is selected.

I just close it with my tabs present and when I re-open they are all there still. Have a look in the menu options area and make sure the button beside Show your windows and tabs from last time is selected.
Thanks Toni, it had set itself for opening a new tab, rather than the Show windows and tabs from last time. (y)

Back