Firefox

Not sure what Firefox deos that IE7 doesn't. I've had it installed for years and never felt the need to try it. Several of the sites I tried on it wouldn't display correctly.

Um the stuff I mentioned further up in the thread :p If sites don't display in it then they need fixing. Its not Firefox's problem its theirs.

On a very basic level, yes. They both browse websites. However, Firefox is better for developers because of the way it follows W3C standards. For end users Firefox has a huge advantage over IE because of the extensions you can add on to it. You can get extensions that will change the way websites work allowing you to add features that they don't have. Its got great adblocking features too allowing you to view the web as it used to be. Check out the more popular ones..

Not sure what Firefox deos that IE7 doesn't.

To be fair, now Microsoft have ripped off pretty much every big feature of Firefox/Opera and put them in IE7, standard vs standard, there isn't a huge deal in it.

Extensions, Standards, Resource Usage etc. are areas where Firefox (and Opera to a lesser degree) begin to pull a long way ahead.

Has anyone got a download or link that describes most/all the options in about:config? Or is it a case of see if a chnage makes a difference?

Firefox still has the best tabbed browsing, and adware blocker. The main advantage is this.........................

1. 90% of the population do not make an informed choice about their browser, instinct tells them to use IE because M$ told them too.
2. Hackers like to steal from people
3. 10% of people use alternative browser
4 hackers dont waste their time ripping off the minority

in short. IE is full of security holes and M$ are notorious for not fixing them quickly, firefox is pretty hacker free. Dont believe me? if you use IE, scan your computer with ad-aware and be afraid of the results.!!

........right wheres those mozilla share certificates:love:

2. Hackers like to steal from people
3. 10% of people use alternative browser
4 hackers dont waste their time ripping off the minority

Thats not entirely accurate. Hackers aren't about stealing or ripping off people. They're simply about exploring systems and finding bugs. Crackers are the ones who do the bad things. Also, more than 10% of people use an alternative browser. More people use FF when they visit my site than IE.

Thats not entirely accurate. Hackers aren't about stealing or ripping off people. They're simply about exploring systems and finding bugs. Crackers are the ones who do the bad things. Also, more than 10% of people use an alternative browser. More people use FF when they visit my site than IE.

Yeah ok, i was maybe a little bit fresh with the truth to make a point. What i mean is the problem with IE is its not as secure as firefox.

IE5/6 is terrible. IE7 is more secure but you're better off using Firefox.

Also, more than 10% of people use an alternative browser. More people use FF when they visit my site than IE.

Not much more though.

That table on that site is pretty inaccurate as it explains underneath it. As a web technology site they accept they are far more likely to be visited by people who pick and chose browsers rather than stick with the default.

With your site there would be a number of factors for what you see:
* It would be mostly visited by creative people who will similarly take a more active interest in using the right tool and rather than just using the default offered.
* A higher number of Mac users in the creative community who cannot use realistically use IE.
* Is more likely to be visited from home or creative companies rather than from corporate environments where Windows is the only option.

I am an admin on a big forum site about a particular sport so our users are more "average" in their scope. Our stats show that IE accounts for 84% of users, Firefox 13.5%, and Safari 1.2%, and with an average of around 12k different visitors per day it is a pretty good sample size.

Whatever you think of IE (and from the perspective of having developed web sites I hate it) it is still by far the most popular browser out there in general. Unless you serve a particular community where you know another browser is more commonly used you have to work around it and live with it or risk alienating a lot of visitors.

Michael.

What i mean is the problem with IE is its not as secure as firefox.

You say that, though i've never seen any to prove it is technically a more secure platform. It is likely to be far less targeted for whatever reasons meaning it is probably at a lower risk level but I don't think classing it as more 'secure' is entirely correct.

Not much more though.

That table on that site is pretty inaccurate as it explains underneath it. As a web technology site they accept they are far more likely to be visited by people who pick and chose browsers rather than stick with the default.

With your site there would be a number of factors for what you see:
* It would be mostly visited by creative people who will similarly take a more active interest in using the right tool and rather than just using the default offered.
* A higher number of Mac users in the creative community who cannot use realistically use IE.
* Is more likely to be visited from home or creative companies rather than from corporate environments where Windows is the only option.

I am an admin on a big forum site about a particular sport so our users are more "average" in their scope. Our stats show that IE accounts for 84% of users, Firefox 13.5%, and Safari 1.2%, and with an average of around 12k different visitors per day it is a pretty good sample size.

Whatever you think of IE (and from the perspective of having developed web sites I hate it) it is still by far the most popular browser out there in general. Unless you serve a particular community where you know another browser is more commonly used you have to work around it and live with it or risk alienating a lot of visitors.

Michael.

For sure. I'm aware of the types that'll visit my site, only 17% use OSX though. I know IE is still king but I know FF's share is also more than 10%. It was enough to create IE7 after all.

Back