Firewalls

arclight

Oooh that burglar's a cutie
Name
Doug
Edit My Images
Yes
Currently running WXP.

Had a problem with Zone Alarm firewall and have got shot of it.

Anyone have any views, please, on whether it is best to have an independent firewall rather than that provided with WXP?

Seeing as no-one else has replied...I am a fan of Zone Alarm and have it working well with WXP(I have turned off the Windows firewall), but I guess there are always going to be issues with firewalls. Myself, I wouldn't touch anything to do with Norton...

Not much use as a reply but at least you're bumped ;)

Depends on how customisable/interactive you want it? I'm a big fan of Outpost, but I'd have a look at ESET as well.

Comodo personal firewall or Sygate personal firewall are both good. I would say better than Zine Alarm which i never really liked in the first place.

Thanks folks.
I am still working away using WXP firewall (I realise that it is only half a firewall since it only deals with inbound nasties).
Rather enjoying how faster my PC is now.

I run hardware firewall's by Watchguard.. they do what i want them for.

I run a second PC which has Smoothwall on it, it can be cutomised in loads of ways and the best bit its free. Smoothwall

Router and Windows Firewall is all you really need now. I stopped wasting time on software firewalls about a year back.

Cheers all. I'll look at the router option. Currently don't have one.

The most important thing by a country mile is that you are not using a USB modem. So long as your public IP does not terminate on your PC and your router acts as a 'stateful' firewall then you'll be protected from 99% of attacks. Other than that you'll be ok with the windows unless your wireless network is in danger of hijacking, then you should beef up PC security.

The most important thing by a country mile is that you are not using a USB modem. So long as your public IP does not terminate on your PC and your router acts as a 'stateful' firewall then you'll be protected from 99% of attacks. Other than that you'll be ok with the windows unless your wireless network is in danger of hijacking, then you should beef up PC security.

I do still have a USB modem, but will upgrade to a router.
I'd prefer not to have another software firewall.
Cheers.

As has been said by most people....you don't need a seperate software firewall these days. A router that puts your PC behind NAT and the windows firewall to alert you of any outgoing nasties will more than suffice for home users.

Back