Beginner Fireworks advice for bridge camera

Name
Jon
Edit My Images
Yes
I am going to a fireworks show tonight and hope to get some shots. I will be taking a tripod so stability is not a worry in this case. However, I am using a bridge camera and much of the advice I have found online about how to shoot relates to SLR photography where sensor size is vastly different. So I have two questions really:

1) Is using the fireworks mode on a Canon bridge camera any good, and how does it work (ie what settings does it pick for you)?

2) If not are there any rule of thumb settings for bridge camera fireworks shooting in manual (or any other for that matter) mode?

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks!

Sensor size doesn't really make much difference for shots like this, just use what you see for SLR cameras. Use manual mode and you want a long exposure (say 30s) and adjust the aperture and iso so that the individual fireworks don't blow the highlights.

Thanks both for your replies.

If you check out my signature you find a link to the guide I wrote for shooting fireworks should cover all your questions, of course should you have more questions I'm happy to help

Very helpful - like the little tips, I'll see if I have time to prep some black card.

Sensor size doesn't really make much difference for shots like this, just use what you see for SLR cameras. Use manual mode and you want a long exposure (say 30s) and adjust the aperture and iso so that the individual fireworks don't blow the highlights.

I was just worried about whether I would risk significantly underexposing the pictures if I followed DSLR guidelines and the sensor couldn't collect as much light as those cameras. I'm glad to hear this shouldn't be the case! Thank you.

Exposure is exposure :) (well, until you start talking t-stops but that's another matter!).

Back