Beginner Fireworks (First Attempt)

Name
Martyn
Edit My Images
No
Gentlefolk...

First, please go easy with me but also completely honest.

Every year here there is a 4 day airshow (free) complete with a fireworks session (usually the Sunday evening but was held on the Saturday this year). Having gained a bit more confidence in shpting with manual settings I thought I would have a go at capturing some of these. Below are the results... Thoughts/opinions/guidance/hints & tips are all welcome.

NB: The only "editing" was to convert from RAW to JPG

Album Link: http://1drv.ms/1WvKWHD

P.S.

Apologies for the link to an online album but I couldn't figure out how to embed an image...

Having finally seen the "Upload a File" button, here are the images from the album (with added watermark) - Part 1:

Part 2:

NB: The files in the album from the original post are full size @ 600dpi

OK, you captured the fireworks pretty well, nice work.

Personally I would possibly have tried to include more of the trees in the foreground to give the fireworks some context.

Here is my advise. I always shot fireworks knowing that I am going to miss the first few minutes of the show. This way there is not pressure to rush and you can take the time to set everything up. Your shots are not in full focus and that is the main part that takes time to set up. I set my camera to live view and take a shot then take the time to zoom into that shot to see what the focus is like. It takes a few shots to get this down and you need to check it every once in a while to make sure you are still in focus. Giving yourself a few minutes to set up will take the pressure off and increase you keeper rate a lot. I also agree with Richard about the composition. I hope that helps.

Thanks to both shaylou and RichardtheSane. Shaylou is quite correct in that I was rushed - it didn't help that the lady next to me kept nocking into the tripod.

Back