Fireworks from Fistral Night Surf Finals.

Very nice bouquets of lights, delicious!

Excellent set :)

Looking good to me ... something I have never tried :)

Those are great shots - it was windy then! You have caught the smoke being blown. That helps to define the ground area. Nicely done.

I used to photograph the European firework chapionships, both for the makers and the town/city councils that sponsored the events - this was back in the days of film and I shot on the RZ.

What I can remember from those days was (bear in mind I only had 100 ASA to work with).
F8 was the aperture of choice to retain the firework flares without hot spots in the centre.
Open shutter routine......so you set up like you have done on the area the display would take place so as to capture the ground and bursts. Trip the shutter with a cable release and hold it open for the duration of the burst, then DON'T CLOSE THE SHUTTER.......instead you put the lens cap back on and wait for the next one - you get a moment warning because you see the fuse glow - nip the cover off the lens and allow the next burst to burn itself onto the film. That way you can combine a couple of different bursts into one image. Then release the shutter and wind on ready for another go.

@Lensflare Thanks. There was a bit of a breeze, usually windy here in Cornwall. All these are single shots with no black card. Just used 'bulb' on a remote release. Firework displays are quicker these days and it's just a matter of timeing.

@sjc1919 Thanks for taking a look. No.2 was one of my favs from the night :)

Back