Fireworks!

Edit My Images
Yes
I plan on visiting a local vantage point.. so I dont have to pay £30 to get on the other side of a fence to see some explosions!

Can anyone offer any tips for taking good firework pictures?

Dont want to use the trial and error method! :)

TIA

I am no expert, but I went to a local spot tonight as a recce for a display tommorow beside the sea. There were a fair few fireworks going off so I had a bash. Used manual mode, manual focus, ISO 200 (lowest mine goes to), F9 and about 2 secs exposure. I dont have a wide angle so I used my kit lens at 18mm. Was but a good starting point. Oh yes gloves, hat, and torch will be in tow tomorow as well.

Try doing a search on the forums using some key words - there is lots of historic advice in threads from people who have had some great results.

Good luck.

Ok, cheers.
Never done Fireworks before, got a fair idea how I'm going to aproach, but as with everything I want some good results, or to learn from the experience!

tripod!

Switch to manual (everything!).... use a smaller aperture for longer trails. And, unless you're close (too close?) focus on infinity. White balance? Now there's a thought.... daylight? :shrug:

18mm (27mm equiv) and you've not got a wide-angle. I can remember 35mm was a good wide-angle and then you were a bit rich. Tsk! ;)

I found, in the past, around 8 seconds @ f16 (ISO 200) gave me good results. But only if there's not too much wind.

No trial and error? Even in the days of film it was T & E..... there was always the next year. Not like these days.... instant results and Bonfire night goes on for three weeks :LOL:

Cheers,
didnt intend to let the cam do any of the work for me.
Will shoot RAW + JPEG so I can play with the WB if needed.

Just had a play with this myself. Been using 15s exposure, f/8, focus out as far as it will go. Results *seem* decent but I haven't got them onto my PC yet.

Bit late but......if your camera allows it use the bulb setting in manual - around f8 seems to give a good result. That way you can time your exposures exactly to suit the type of fizz-bangs going off at that moment. I've not played with the white balance at all I must admit - just left it on auto. Lowest ISO possible if you're using exposures of 6 - 8 seconds. Remember you can estimate seconds by counting in "hippopotomus's"! :p

Back