Beginner Firing 430EX as optical slave via 600EX-RT?

Edit My Images
Yes
I'm fairly sure this should be possible but I can't get it to work so I just wanted to check, this should work, right?

I have a 70D with a 600EX-RT mounted on top of it. I have an old 430EX which I want to trigger.

The 430EX is set to slave, in ETTL mode, CH=1, SLAVE=A

The 600EX-RT is set as master, its on channel 1.

Should this now just work or am I missing something?

Line of sight, remember to make sure the optical receiver is facing the camera mounted flash.
Distance
It's not good in high ambient light levels.

You'd be better upgrading the 430 to an rt compatible speed light or device and using the radio function. It's massively superior technology, ATM you've bought a Ferrari but you're driving it in economy mode so your missus can keep up in her Fiat Panda.

Line of sight, remember to make sure the optical receiver is facing the camera mounted flash.
Distance
It's not good in high ambient light levels.

You'd be better upgrading the 430 to an rt compatible speed light or device and using the radio function. It's massively superior technology, ATM you've bought a Ferrari but you're driving it in economy mode so your missus can keep up in her Fiat Panda.

I was planning on getting the Yongnuo clone next month. Or would you recommend something else for that kind of budget?

AFAIK your choices are:
The YN600ex rt
The YN STE3
The Canon STE3
The Canon 600ex RT
The Canon stuff is better built, but I'd buy either the Yongnuo trigger or flash.

In fact, honestly if it was my money, I'd sell the Canon 600 and 430 and buy a YN ST E3 and a pair of YN600's. It's your money though.

Last edited:
Back