Firmware update for Canon L lens ?

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
Ok I have a 7D2/EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS USM MK11 and have fitted a Kenko pro 300 DGX 1.4x extender and camera is telling me to update lens firmware.

I cannot find any thing at all about this supposed firmware.

Any advice please

It may well be the extender that needs the firmware update.

Without the extender fitted, In the firmware section of camera it says (lens firmware 1.06 needed)

First time I have heard of firmware in respect to a lens, thought it only related to camera bodies.
Matt

Without the extender fitted, In the firmware section of camera it says (lens firmware 1.06 needed)
Well there was no firmware version 1.06 for the 7d mk2, so its definitely not talking about that

I've had my 100-400mm II since January 2015, it came with firmware ver 1.0.6, is it saying update firmware "as" needed? can you put up a screen shot?

I believe you have to send lenses back to Canon for firmware updates.
No doubt they will probably want you to pay for it as well :(

I think I might try and reload the camera firmware again. Have you taken the battery out and waited 30sec then re insert it

Sorry, scrap that. Some lenses do have a downloadable firmware update file and instructions on how to go about it. Sadly not for your lens though.

All modern lenses have onboard firmware. The only differences are whether it's possible for end users to update it.
  • Fuji X-System lenses can all be updated by the user. Download the firmware file, copy onto an SD card, put card in camera, attach lens. It's all very easy.
  • Sigma Art lenses and Sports lenses can be updated via the Sigma Dock. Older Sigma lenses have to go back to the manufacturer for updates.
  • Tamron have recently introduced the "TAP-in Console" which appears to be similar to the Sigma Dock. Not many lenses are compatible with it yet, and some are only compatible if they are first sent back to Tamron for an update.
  • Some Canon lenses can be updated via the camera, as with the Fuji system. The only firmware update I've seen has been for the 24-105 Mk II, and I have no idea how many other lenses have this capability.
  • All Nikon lenses have to go back to a service centre for updates, so far as I'm aware.
  • I don't know how M4/3 or Sony lenses are updated. Sorry.
It's not really surprising that the independent manufacturers, Sigma and now Tanron, are investing in methods to allow end users to update their lens firmware. Obviously they're vulnerable every time one of he camera manufacturers tweaks something. Similarly it's not really surprising that Canon and Nikon haven't bothered so much, because they're in complete control of the camera/lens communications. To my mind the one surprise is the way Fuji are doing this, but they are receiving plaudits for their support processes, so good luck to them.

Sorry about the delay have spoken with several camera dealers and they dont have a clue either. Below is a screenshot showing update required all be it for camera firmware but if i highlighted the lens firmware i get the same message to update lens firmware.

Have this very morning tried the lens on my 6D and this is the same asking for lens firmware update 1.06 required.lenses.JPG

here is the exact procedure pic 1 show update needed pic 2 shows memory card required with correct details needed Lens 2.JPG Lens 3.JPG

canon says - no firmware available
http://www.canon.co.uk/support/cons...00-400mm_f45-56l_is_ii_usm.aspx?type=firmware

Has the issue started since you upgraded the firmware?
Are you sure the upgrade went in correctly. What was your original version?

No it started before i did the camera firmware and i've tried on my 6D as well get exactly the same and havent touched firmware on 6D for over 2 years

Tried ringing Canon all morning cannot get through permanently on hold set up call back on there advice system still nothing.

Getting peed of now just under 2 grand spent not even 3 weeks old and no dealer or canon can/will help

Tried ringing Canon all morning cannot get through permanently on hold set up call back on there advice system still nothing.

Getting peed of now just under 2 grand spent not even 3 weeks old and no dealer or canon can/will help
The problem is caused by the Kenko extender, so why do you expect Canon to help you?
You wouldn't get this issue if you used the lens on its own or with a Canon extender.

The problem is caused by the Kenko extender, so why do you expect Canon to help you?
You wouldn't get this issue if you used the lens on its own or with a Canon extender.

The kenko isnt even attached

Camera wont even boot up if the Kenko is attached

No real solution but you're not the first to have a problem with this combo.

http://www.uglyhedgehog.com/t-302580-1.html

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1336777/0

Also came across this

Hi, I believe there is a potential issue with using the Kenko 1.4X PRO 300 Teleconverter DGX with the Canon 7D II as well as the 5DIII, 6D, 70D, and IDX with the current 100-400L as well a number of other older Canon lenses. The issue is that the camera hangs if per lens Micro Adjustment is turned on. The fix involves removing the camera battery and lens with the teleconverter and restarting the camera with out the converter. To avoid the problem you can turn off per lens Microadjustment before mounting the lens with the kenko to the camera. If you need microadjustment for the 100-400 with Kenko you can dial in the value by using the microadjustment "for all" setting. It just means that you have to member reset the microadjustment setting when using the 100-400L with kenko. The issue would not affect your T1i but might be an issue with the 7DII. Kenko gave me a refund for a converter when I ran into the issue on my 70D about a year ago. At that time they told me they did not have a converter that would avoid the issue. I don't know if they have made a change in the last year to address the problem.

No idea of it works or not though.

No real solution but you're not the first to have a problem with this combo.

http://www.uglyhedgehog.com/t-302580-1.html

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1336777/0

Also came across this

Hi, I believe there is a potential issue with using the Kenko 1.4X PRO 300 Teleconverter DGX with the Canon 7D II as well as the 5DIII, 6D, 70D, and IDX with the current 100-400L as well a number of other older Canon lenses. The issue is that the camera hangs if per lens Micro Adjustment is turned on. The fix involves removing the camera battery and lens with the teleconverter and restarting the camera with out the converter. To avoid the problem you can turn off per lens Microadjustment before mounting the lens with the kenko to the camera. If you need microadjustment for the 100-400 with Kenko you can dial in the value by using the microadjustment "for all" setting. It just means that you have to member reset the microadjustment setting when using the 100-400L with kenko. The issue would not affect your T1i but might be an issue with the 7DII. Kenko gave me a refund for a converter when I ran into the issue on my 70D about a year ago. At that time they told me they did not have a converter that would avoid the issue. I don't know if they have made a change in the last year to address the problem.

No idea of it works or not though.

Thanks and yes im aware of the incompatibility of these 2 components, I was more concerned of the lens firmware update without the Kenko fitted but that has been resolved now by Canon

Thanks and yes im aware of the incompatibility of these 2 components, I was more concerned of the lens firmware update without the Kenko fitted but that has been resolved now by Canon

Sorry, did I miss the solution? What did Canon eventually advise that solved it???

Sorry, did I miss the solution? What did Canon eventually advise that solved it???

All canon lens that have the ability to have a firmware update will show the current level in the firmware settings in camera only when said lens is fitted, Thus you check for an update on Canons web site.

Sorry about the delay have spoken with several camera dealers and they dont have a clue either. Below is a screenshot showing update required all be it for camera firmware but if i highlighted the lens firmware i get the same message to update lens firmware.

Have this very morning tried the lens on my 6D and this is the same asking for lens firmware update 1.06 required.View attachment 105584
I think you are misreading that page... It's simply showing you the current firmware installed along with a (suspect default) message to update firmware *as needed*... not "update required/needed."

There's no way the camera could possibly know that there is new firmware available... if there is a compatibility issue you will get an error message or it just won't work, and there might be a firmware update to resolve that. But the camera/lens won't know that.

Last edited:
All canon lens that have the ability to have a firmware update will show the current level in the firmware settings in camera only when said lens is fitted, Thus you check for an update on Canons web site.

Yes, I understand but in the post I quoted you appear to say that your efforts to contact canon resulted in them solving your problem. So are you now content that the issue is sorted and if so just how did canon sort it out for you?

Back