first 120 film recommendations

MindofMel

Suspended / Banned
Name
Mel
Edit My Images
Yes
After rummaging through flickr I have reduced what I think to be my favourite look BW films (have portra 400 on the way for colour) to the following:

Ilford FP4
Tri-X 400
Ilford HP5
Ilford Delta 400

More than their looks - I am more after a film that I can rate at wide ranges of ISO .. i.e 200 - 800 and get results from...

Any help appreciated!

Ooooo also, the film is to be processed in Rodinal..

Last edited:
FP4 I have used in the past and stuck to 125ISO and when deved in Rodinal it works very well and I found gave a wide tonal range.

Tri-X 400 can be rated up to 3200 however if you push it that far I really would not use Rodinal I would look at Kodak T-Max or Ilford Microphen developers.

HP5 have used at 400ISO but you can push it agin 800, 1600. But I found even deving it in Ilfords ID-11 it have a very pronounced grain structure.

Delta 400 again can be pushed and gives a fine grain structure to HP5. Have used Rodinal and ID-11 to dev it and found it gave a more pleasing grain structure than HP5 espically when scanned.

Mind you these are my observations and it could just be a case of trying various things and seeing what works for you. :)

I'd go tri-x personally and order a bag of xtol or d76 to go with it, too gritty in rodinal, even at 120 size IMHO.

mixing a litre of d76 is dead easy, I used an old 1.5l coke bottle, fill with hot water pour in the packet and give it a gentle shake 'til its all dissolved, then decant into 2x500ml bottles and keep one full and work from the other, mix it 1:1 and use 1 shot.

failing that I liked Paterson FX39 but it went off before I finished the bottle trashing a film :(

I had decent results from the D74 branded stuff (aka rollei rhs-dc) sold by firstcall, it was reasonably priced and being a liquid easy to mix.

Back