First adventure back in film, I give to you my OM2-SP!

Name
Jim
Edit My Images
Yes
Having not used film since I left a canon p&s APS on a tube train on the way to the airport back in the (very!) early noughties, I was suddenly bitten by the bug again. And, yes, that is your lots fault!

So off researching I went and decided I wanted something completely different to my current digital setup. I liked the look of the Olympus OM family so trawled the internet and ended up on Ebay! I saw an OM2-SP and thought to myself, now that looks nice! I then researched a little further and found out that basically it is the ugly ducking of the family. But I went for it anyway! It came without a lens so I grabbed a Zuiko 50mm f1.8. Then a 135mm f3.5. And then a 28mm f2.8. Perhaps I went a little OTT having not even fired off a single shot as yet!

So here she is...

4644588247_b80e1fc27c_o.jpg

I grabbed some Ilford HP5+, as all I really want to shoot film wise is B&W. Digital tweaking never really looks the same! I shot off my 37 (as it turned out!) frames of the first film and gave it the royal treatment of being developed at Ilford's labs (processing, prints and hi-res cd). Lets just say it cost a few quid and I won't be doing that again!

So here are the results- I am quite impressed to say the least!

4642143857_a6cc0afe74_o.jpg

4642143961_3ed78f4820_o.jpg

4642757160_09c8c99c7a_o.jpg

4642144541_275bde9748_o.jpg

4642757660_7f06644669_o.jpg

Some are overexposed, some are underexposed and some are even out of focus but none of that is really the cameras fault! The metering seems to work fine but my laxness is the cause of any under or over!

So, I am in love with film now and this camera is the complete anthesis of my 40D: light, compact but makes you think!

Next step? I am awaiting delivery of a dev tank and associated kit! Now, about film scanners...

Welcome to the club! You got yourself a beauty there, I just picked up an OM10 with a 50mm f1.8 for £7 which wa a bargain but I really want on OM2. You've also got exactly the lens line up I'm looking for.

Just need to add an Olympus RC 35 and I have my film camera line up complete from my TRIP up to an SLR.

Nice pics I love the grain of proper B&W film!

Thanks guys. I do have to admit, the camera is a real beauty and the lenses are just such high quality! I am now taking only it to a wedding and a party I am attending this weekend! However the 40 D will be taken along on my outdoor adventures on tuesday and wednesday. Roll on the next film!

Funny how most of us seem to be leaning towards B&W exclusively as the food for our new toys...

Funny how most of us seem to be leaning towards B&W exclusively as the food for our new toys...

I think its just because it is something that digital just cannot do as well. B&W film just looks stunning. As a bonus for me its also quite forgiving!

In my case, it's because I'm mean, and I've already got the chemicals for B&W and film in the 'fridge. :LOL:

I think its just because it is something that digital just cannot do as well. B&W film just looks stunning. As a bonus for me its also quite forgiving!

I might be inclined to dispute that - it can't replicate the look of all B&W films exactly, that's for sure, but is that necessarily better or worse?

I get some pretty good B&W images from the D3 using the ACR B&W converter (I used to go the channels method before). By moving the sliders around you can determine how much sensitivity to different wavelengths are shown, just like panchromatic B&W film and using coloured filters at the taking-stage.
Then it's just a matter of adding a slight tone via the duotone dialogue box and add film grain if required...

I use B&W film because it seems natural to do so...keep it simple - no colour balance to worry about.

There's either enough light or there isn't...and if there's light enough to see - there's enough light to get something on film...

Maybe if "... at a sensible price..." were added to the statement then Rob? Yes, I know there are a few D3's around but they are still a bit pricey. And even other cameras are only now getting to the price where they could be considered by Mr Average rather than Mr Avid-Amateur.

I agree though that it is indeed becoming increasingly difficult to defend film on purely aesthetic grounds, but those grounds are really only a small part of the experience that is film - and it's the whole thing that makes it in my mind and not just the result. The journey, if you like, is as important as the destination.

Well, I already had the camera - but agreed...you wouldn't just go and buy one for this purpose alone...lol

Starting B&W from scratch?
Buy a film camera - no contest...

I just meant those of us with (some of us) fairly extensive DSLR kit who have 'gone retro' recently...

There's a tangible element to using film that's entirely absent with digital...it smells for one thing...DSLR kit is sterile by comparison...I know that beef-gelatin is the main ingredient in the film's emulsion-base...dead cows, people...dead cows are what we're shooting on...and silver...stuff we dig from the ground...

Perhaps it's not better or worse but our perception of it. I don't think that an image from my 40d converted to black and white looks as good. The tones are never quite the same and the grain just isn't as good. Then again I have not splashed out on some of the more expensive software out there that could do a better job!

Then again, it is more than just the pictures, it's the whole process from loading the film to finally seeing the prints!

Back