First attempt and by god it's difficult

Name
Karl Norman
Edit My Images
Yes
I managed to find a Canon ef-s 60mm macro lens for a bargain price so couldn't say no. It arrived today and having spent a couple of days reading up on how to use it I ventured out into the garden. It really is a very different way to photograph and extremely tricky. I'm still struggling to get to grips with the hows and whats but managed to get a couple of reasonable shots.

The only technique I managed to get any success with was by using live view (the only time I've ever found a use for it) and manually focussing. I had to use the in built flash as nothing was really working with what ambient light there was. There just seems to be lack of punch and real detail when you look closely, am I expecting too much from the lens? Any advice on how to move on would be really appreciated.

Both pics have been cropped and slightly tweaked.

IMG_7910.jpg

f10
1/200
60mm
iso125

IMG_7914.jpg

f18
1/200
60mm
iso 125

Last edited:
The second one for me - More in focus than the first and better colours. I have had a mcro lens for a year, and to be honest I was pretty annoyed to see peoples great shots when mine were always crap.

I have just bought a flash and that has totally changed the shots I'm taking and improved them by 100%. Couldn't recommend a flash enough to be honest.

Cant really give advice on the lens but i can say their not bad for your first attempt !!!
To me flash is a must for macro. I use an external flash fitted to home made bracket, it allows for a faster shutter speed.

Thanks for the input. Would any external flash help or does it have to be specific macro set up? I haven't got an external flash but do want to get one in the future for general use but definately couldn't justify a macro only flash.

A really good first attempt..........and yes it is difficult, but it does get (slightly) easier with practice:thumbsdown:

There is a lot of good advice on TP.........just keep taking the pics and posting them, you'll be surprised at how fast you improve:)

you're off to a good start but a ring flash really would improve your results.

The one thing i can advise you to do, is to read this thread by Brian Valentine, in my opinion the master of macro photography.
I have had loads of advice from Brian since i started photography, and my technique has improved greatly over the last six months.
Keep practicing and thinking outside the box as much as is possible, because you need to try and be original if you can.

http://www.inspiring-photography.com/forum/showthread.php?t=585

Best regards Paul

Number 2 for me but only just, but they are both good. You can learn a lot from the advice given on TP, theres some very good threads that are well worth reading.
Well done, you've done good :clap:

The one thing i can advise you to do, is to read this thread by Brian Valentine, in my opinion the master of macro photography.
I have had loads of advice from Brian since i started photography, and my technique has improved greatly over the last six months.
Keep practicing and thinking outside the box as much as is possible, because you need to try and be original if you can.

http://www.inspiring-photography.com/forum/showthread.php?t=585

Best regards Paul

Thanks for posting this link paul (y)(y)

Back