First attempt at a portrait

Name
Mark Littlejohn
Edit My Images
No
Since taking it up at the start of the year I've only ever taken landscape shots. Sigma 50mm arrived this week so decided it was time to have a go at a some portrait shots. Took this one of daughter and dog on the first day. I like the lens a lot.

Any critique welcome

Emily2.jpg

A great shot, the more pictures I take the more I realised it's the moments and expressions that make the photo, something you're demonstrating above!

From a technical point of view it looks like the focus is just forward of the woman's face, more on the dog than her. Very minor point but with that really shallow depth of field it can be a subtle way of drawing the eye to the subject.

Lovely image though, definitely one for your wall (y)

Since taking it up at the start of the year I've only ever taken landscape shots. Sigma 50mm arrived this week so decided it was time to have a go at a some portrait shots. Took this one of daughter and dog on the first day. I like the lens a lot.

Any critique welcome

Emily2.jpg

Lovely photo (y)

Look what I saw today!!

5320767921_d4ac5589b8_b.jpg

So what does that mean ? Is that his album :thinking:

One to be proud of for sure. Well done on Flickr Explore too :)

It means it is 'interesting' John, over the last 7 days... amoungst other interesting images from other Flickr members :)

And it is rather nice to boot (y)

If that's your 1st god help those that have been doing it for years, that will give them a run for their money well one.

Yo, Eljay. If this's really your first time at portrait photo, I must say you do have talent at this. Go for it!

That is a lovely shot you have really captured the love between the girl and her pet, they are both great subjects for more images in the future look forward to seeing them again soon.

Hi - this image makes me smile and go 'aww' all in one go. You've captured a happy scene there and a relaxed one too. I love it! :)

Cheers folks - appreciate the comments. A lucky moment and lucky with the light reflecting up of the snow as well.

Apologies for not responding sooner. I think I put it on here after a couple of whiskies while the missus was at out at work and forgot I'd put it up.

Edit: You don't get notified of explores but you soon twig with the various comments from folks that aren't contacts. I don't tend to put mine in groups unless they're local Lake District landscapes. Think theres a page you can check in bighugelabs for explores but to be honest I don't think it means a lot - nice comments/critique mean a lot more.

Last edited:
It is indeed - desperate to get back out with it but weathers been dreadful. Very impressed so far. Bit of heft to it but a nice feel.

It is indeed - desperate to get back out with it but weathers been dreadful. Very impressed so far. Bit of heft to it but a nice feel.

You want a bit of a heft though, you get more for your money that way :naughty:

Back