First attempt at a proper portrait

cannockwolf

<span class="poty">POTY (Joint) 2016</span>
Name
Dave
Edit My Images
No
My best friend asked me to take a picture of their children as a favour which I was more than happy to do, never done this before, so heres what I came up with using a couple of sb800's on stands with some wescott umbrellas....

Portrait-0250-Edit.jpg

Portrait-0257-Edit.jpg

Portrait-0270.jpg

Pretty bloody cracking first attempt! :D

1 and 3 best for me. Not too keen on the editing on 2 to remove the background. I reckon that if you have got access to an infinity curve or haven't got the light for a roll of paper then choosing a nice neutral spot for the on the floor group shot works better than trying to edit in a white background. What does it look like before the edit?

i had a white sheet behind ill post it up

Portrait-0257.jpg

Last edited:
OK so how about getting rid of the worst of the creases with the healing brush then tweaking the curves to blow out the back a little. Mine is a little crude here but its just to show you an alternative to trying to cut round hair etc. Obviously not as good as getting rid of the background on camera but I think nicer than a bad cutout.

Hope you don't mind the input. :D

Portrait-0257copy.jpg

thnaks BD ill give it a go (y)

well done there, excellent results.

can you share how you set up the lighting, ive always wondered if id be better off with a second speedlight, instead of big studio lights for the odd bit of portrait work

i just set them up at 45* angles one head height and one just above facing down

heres the stands with the umbrellas, they are very compact fitting in a tripod bag

gear_shots-4306.jpg

heres the stands with the umbrellas, they are very compact fitting in a tripod bag

gear_shots-4306.jpg

Those are pretty damn good for a first go.

At the risk of look an idiot (who-me) what is the jobby above the two SB800s in the pic?

there my macro flashes, the fit on the front of the lens

Back