First Attempt at a Track Day at Brands Hatch

Edit My Images
Yes
Went along with some friends to watch them at a track day yesterday and tried to grab some photos for them whilst I was there. Obviously didn't have access to trackside but did manage to get a half-decent viewpoint on a balcony, did mean my actual racing shots were quite samey, but didn't really have anywhere else to shoot from. Had to contend with a fence and other annoyances though.

But C+C is appreciated and any advice on technique for next time would be appreciated. Was quite happy that I managed to get some shots I was pleased with on my first attempt though. Was bloody freezing!

0029.jpg

0014.jpg

0023.jpg

0025.jpg

0027.jpg

0013.jpg

0010.jpg

0011.jpg

Thanks,
Rich

For a first attempt, the motion is really good! But a real shame about the fences. What kit did you use? I'm supposed to be getting tuition around a few UK circuits, and hopefully Spa, this year but it all depends on the progress of my track car being completed!!

Hi there

If you do a safety course i.e so you know all the flags some do let you get closer to the action been in the middle of the course at croft a few times now

and it really changes your shots

Dave

Thanks guys. I'll definitely look into that daveyb, thanks very much. I did see a 'tog at track side, he was selling photos to the racers that day. Would have loved to have been where he was. :)

Shak; was just using a 70-200 F/4L. Surprisingly long enough from where I was.

Nice technique on the panning. Could you not walk around the circuit though? I went along to a trackday last Summer and the usual spectator areas were fully open, it was literally only me in the spectator bits and a pro on the other side of the fence. To be honest it didn't seem to make much difference (I saw the pro shots a few weeks later), as there were no other spectators in the way I could have any spot I wanted, and most were only a few feet back from where the press spots are anyway. My 80-200 easily covered every spot I wanted to try.

At Brands Hatch you can get quite close on the inside of the Druids Hairpin - you cross over the footbridge and you can get some nice angles without much safety netting.

Also at the start of the start/finish straight there is a metal flap in the catch fencing that they put a TV camera through if its an important race. Often you can shoot through here as there is no TV crew for most events.

Hmm. I'll definitely take a better look around the next time I visit. Thanks for the advice guys. In all honesty I found it all a bit too intimidating, bit more confidence required for next time!

What do you mean by the spectator areas ukaskew? Do you mean the stands? Because they were locked. :crying:

Yes, spectators have access to the pits and trackside on track days. Either through the spectators stands which goes under the track or walk down past the stands and through the tunnel and along to the pits. As AndrewC said, you can shoot through the holes in the fence.

I've been to a few track days up there and you can usually wander about quite freely.

good set of pics btw considering you shot through the fences (y)

Do you have to get tickets in advance or just turn up?

As a spectator I just turned up. My friends who were taking part had booked beforehand though.

Ah, I know the holes in the fence near the pits that you mean. I'll give that a go next time.

Nice shots and as said you can get much closer to the action at BH. Inside of Druids, outside on the exit (best to drive around the track though!) and outside of Clearways where you can capture cars on the apex with running on the GP circuit.

I recognise the white DC2 (Camskill) driven by Dixon - nicely set up motor that one. For 1800cc it certainly embarrasses much more powerful machinery.

The pits in Brands is unusual in that they're in the middle of the circuit, access through tunnels. Not the best place to shoot from apart from pit action.

You can see the inside of the back straight, but its not that good a viewpoint really.

I'm in the process of compiling some circuit photography guides, much for my own use as anything.

Nice shots and as said you can get much closer to the action at BH. Inside of Druids, outside on the exit (best to drive around the track though!) and outside of Clearways where you can capture cars on the apex with running on the GP circuit.

I recognise the white DC2 (Camskill) driven by Dixon - nicely set up motor that one. For 1800cc it certainly embarrasses much more powerful machinery.

Aha, yeah I was told a lot of people would recognise Dixon's car. :LOL:

Thanks again for all the advice guys. Andrewc if you ever get that guide up anywhere, let me know please!

Back