Critique First attempt at Dartmoor Zoo

Name
Kerry
Edit My Images
Yes
I haven't photographed animals before and headed out for a day at Dartmoor with a couple of friends, thought I would post some of my attempts, any feedback welcome.
Did read a little about shooting at zoos before we went and all shots are handheld as no room for a tripod.

IMG_9345.jpg

IMG_9356.jpg

IMG_9067.jpg

IMG_9184.jpg

IMG_9201.jpg

A good first attempt (y)

(not as sharp after resizing)
I'm guessing that you didn't use an editing programme on these? and they are straight out the camera except for a resize?
Just because you can, it doesn't mean you have to post a large size. Images will degenerate, at the longer end of the zoom range, with bridge / compact camera's.

Try and avoid messy backgrounds like EEO #2, the people are a distraction as is the colourful Hydrangeas(?)
Having said that, its not easy to hide fences, particular with the larger cats, and you've done quite well, in general :)

There is also a lot more detail to be had from the images, I've picked on the cats as an example, as I like the big cats.
All I've done is reduced the physical sizes, tweaked the brightness, and sharpened them up a little.
And a quick go with the clone tool to remove the fence.

I hope that helps?

edit_IMG_9067.jpg

edit_-IMG_9244.jpg

edit_IMG_9522.jpg

Last edited:
Number 5 from the first lot is my Favourite. Can't give you any critique as very much an amateur myself

A good first attempt (y)

I'm guessing that you didn't use an editing programme on these? and they are straight out the camera except for a resize?
Just because you can, it doesn't mean you have to post a large size. Images will degenerate, at the longer end of the zoom range, with bridge / compact camera's.

Try and avoid messy backgrounds like EEO #2, the people are a distraction as is the colourful Hydrangeas(?)
Having said that, its not easy to hide fences, particular with the larger cats, and you've done quite well, in general :)

There is also a lot more detail to be had from the images, I've picked on the cats as an example, as I like the big cats.
All I've done is reduced the physical sizes, tweaked the brightness, and sharpened them up a little.
And a quick go with the clone tool to remove the fence.

I hope that helps?

Thanks Cobra, they were straight out of the camera (Canon 750D with 70 - 300mm lens).
The lions (not posted) I couldn't hide the fences, so not happy with those..

I have not yet got to grips with post processing and only have DPP, although heading towards Lightroom.
Thanks for the edit, it's helpful to see how what others do to images.

70 - 300mm lens
Ah Ok I looked at your profile for the camera, seems I was wrong in that case ;)
The 70-300 can also be quite soft especially at the long end.

I've never used it, but a lot of people quite like "GIMP" as editing software,
the best part is, that its free and mimics Adobe photoshop up to a point.
It might be worth checking it out, before spending money on light room

https://www.gimp.org

Ah Ok I looked at your profile for the camera, seems I was wrong in that case ;)
The 70-300 can also be quite soft especially at the long end.

I've never used it, but a lot of people quite like "GIMP" as editing software,
the best part is, that its free and mimics Adobe photoshop up to a point.
It might be worth checking it out, before spending money on light room

https://www.gimp.org

Oops need to update profile!
Will have a look at GIMP, thanks :)

Back