Beginner First attempt at editing and processing (all criticism welcomed and positively encouraged)

Edit My Images
Yes
Having failed to capture the photos I had in mind for a little 'learners starter project' I have in mind I decided to keep a few photos (even though they weren't that good), so I could have a wee footer around with editing and processing. Now, I know it will not be very good but I was hoping that one or two of you could possibly draw my attention to the glaring errors that I'll have made.

If it helps, I was trying to slightly warm up an otherwise cold (slightly bluish, due to the installations under-lighting) pic and also make the shaded area in the background dark. I cropped it on the right hand side to remove a slight edge of another arch and slither of another head. As I say, this is 100% a practice session for me, but I'll be very grateful for any pointers (shooting/framing or editing/processing related) that might help me get on the right track. :)

Attachments

• Faces _00001.jpg
    Faces _00001.jpg
    411.8 KB · Views: 79
Looks good to me. Looks better than any of my own shots of those fascinating but difficult heads! So no specific criticisms, just encouragement to keep going!

Good shot! Personally, I would crop the right-hand third, so that you lost the 2 'partial faces' and doorway arch.

The only thing I would do differently:
  • Remove the hotspot and reflect of it just to the bottom right of the main face
  • Take the blue out of the lights under the chins to match the overall colour changes you've made.
Quick edit for example below:
Faces _00001.jpg

Thanks for the pointers folks, and the praise/encouragement. It's greatly appreciated. :)

@chris malcolm Yeah, I found it tricky trying to focus on one while keeping just enough of the other heads in the frame without it looking like they were a mistake. Tell ye what though, it ended up a good wee exercise on coping with tricky lighting, not sure if I coped mind you! I never quite managed to capture the idea I had in my mind, but it wasn't a wasted day. I'd have liked to have seen this installation in a purpose built room, all white and none of the chandelier lighting to spoil my pics! lol It is a fascinating display as you say.

@Cunobelin I'd have liked to keep the arch but make it darker and more uniform i.e lose the light area. I just didn't know how to do that and don't think my software (NX-D) is capable of that. It may well be though and I've just not figured it out yet. I'll try a further crop to see how it turns out, nothing to lose as the pics I never culled were kept purely to practice my editing etc.

@Furtim Yep, the hotspot (light?) was definitely something I thought needed to go, just wasn't sure how to go about that at the time. I think I've figured it out now though (fingers crossed). I quite liked the blue under the chins, but yeah, when you see it removed it looks better. What did you do to remove the blue but still leave the light?

@Furtim Yep, the hotspot (light?) was definitely something I thought needed to go, just wasn't sure how to go about that at the time. I think I've figured it out now though (fingers crossed). I quite liked the blue under the chins, but yeah, when you see it removed it looks better. What did you do to remove the blue but still leave the light?

I just used the HSL panel in lightroom, selected the blue area with the mouse and reduced the saturation a little. Probably not the only way, but only took 2 secs.

Not saying it's better, just felt like something to try.

Last edited:
Thanks. Not sure if I can do that with NX-D, but I'll have a look and footer around to find out.

Defo looks better with the light etc removed.

there's always the old standbye for wierd colour casts... go Black and White...

Faces _00001_BnW.jpg

wish I'd have take the time to lose the hotspot as well, but, well, David's covered that already...

I actually get drawn toward black n white photos. Don't know why, I think they sometimes have a bit more character. I love old photos from gigs, backstage etc in b/w as well as architectural structures (is that correct terminology?) from weird angles that are shot that way.
Not sure it works (for me) here though as one of the things that jarred in my mind was the wires, and they seem to be more prominent in b/w. The technique however, is one that I'll be keeping in mind........I like easy little cheats if I can use 'em. lol And, yeah, that hotspot is defo better looking when it aint there to be looked at ! ;)

Back