First attempt at food photography

Edit My Images
Yes
Hello all, new member(ish).

I have recently taken up food photography as a hobby as was hoping for some feedback on a couple I have done so far if possible please

7724229664_9ca93dd7ee.jpg

7675605970_4926393f4b.jpg

7177667775_df4b03f97f.jpg

Really like these, they must work, as they make me want to eat each picture!

in #1 would perhaps like to see a bit more of the chocolate in focus, and a slightly bit of brightness on that back pud. But that is just me being picky.

Did you cook these yourself?

They work well, really love 2. 3 quite vintage. I dont know if its because the other two are brighter that 1 feels a touch dark.

Really like these, they must work, as they make me want to eat each picture!

in #1 would perhaps like to see a bit more of the chocolate in focus, and a slightly bit of brightness on that back pud. But that is just me being picky.

Did you cook these yourself?

Thanks for the feedback, all cooked myself! See your point about the brightness on the back pud, having two lights is confusing me at the moment!

They work well, really love 2. 3 quite vintage. I dont know if its because the other two are brighter that 1 feels a touch dark.

I was trying to go for vintage on the 3, but some people just feel it's washed out?

Thanks for the feedback, all cooked myself! See your point about the brightness on the back pud, having two lights is confusing me at the moment!

I was trying to go for vintage on the 3, but some people just feel it's washed out?

Id say the back pud just need a slight lift, or to be taken out. the light on the choc and front pud is perfect.

I love the vintage, though i process my family images similar and its not always to peoples tastes.

The food looks fab :)

I think it is a very good effort.

On the shooting side of things, I don't think there is anything different that I would have done different myself. If an "experienced" food photographer took up the challenge, they might have a few tricks up their sleeves, but the pictures look fine to me.

The only thing that stands out for me is the vignetting on the 3rd shot. My attention is drawn to the edge of the picture rather than making me concentrate on the subject in the middle.

Other than that, well done!

Last edited:
Looking good! I would like to see more of the soufflé, looks perhaps a bit to tight. And, I am loving the deep ruby red preserves that are so beautifully flowing out of your tea cake. Great work.

Great pics, not a huge fan of the vintage look, but looks good here, love the souffle pic, stunning, the middle pic could be a bit tighter in on the food, the empty space at the top and bottom doesn't add anything, try getting in a bit closer and adjusting the camera angle, hope you don't mind, but here's a similar pic I did a while ago on a recipe to show what I mean. (it's the third pic down)
http://countrywoodsmoke.wordpress.com/2012/02/12/from-beast-to-beauty-part-2/
Cheers
Marcus

Back