First attempt at half-decent scenic pic/Lake District

Name
Wez
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

Went to the Lake District a couple of weeks ago.

Got this one of Esthwaite Water (while my dad was fishing here), with what I believe is Loughrigg Fell in the distance.

All critique gratefully received. I know I didn't use the rule of thirds on this one! :)

D7100
17mm
f16
iso 100
1/40

Cheers,
Wez

From Esthwaite Water Bank by Wez Filtness, on Flickr

I like reflection shots to be a 50/50 horizon split so all good for me there.

Great sky, I can see why you got your camera out! Only major thing I'd say is the branch top right distracts from the scene.

I'm mainly drawn to the trees along the right side, I don't think the foreground bits are strong enough to keep TBH.

19856578678_74fc381966_k_1.jpg

Reactions: ST4
I don't think you've included enough of the foreground for it to be in the shot, the little at the bottom left is a little distracting, as well as the branch poking in at the top left. I think it works really well with the panoramic crop that 4wd has done. I would maybe use a bit of burning to darken the water on the far left, but it works really well in that crop!

Thank you for your comments, they are much appreciated. Always willing to learn.

I certainly like the crop that 4wd did and I can see now that it's pointless keeping in the foreground when there isn't a lot of it.

Practise, practise! :)

Its a lovely scene very tranquil but the light is a bit flat, it looks a bit cool to me too.

Nothing wrong with that at all, a great honest phorograph of lakeland heaven.

Steve.

Back