First attempt at Jupiter and its moons (maybe?)

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi

I'm pretty confident that I managed to get a shot (as bad as it is) of Jupiter but I wondered if anyone could confirm that I also captured its four moons or if the 4 light spots are actually some kind of artifactual result due to a flaw in my approach?

D810
300mm f/4 PF + 2xTC DX mode and large crop.

Thanks

I reckon you have the 4 main moons of Jupiter, Io, Europa, Ganymede and Callisto (in no particular order).

To long an exposure or camera shake perhaps, it's all moving as well o_O

Last edited:
Thanks Jerry. Yes. Fully agree with what you've said about the poor image, I knew it was too. Before I put some effort into getting something better with my current equipment I just need to check that what I thought it was actually was! Thanks for confirmation.

Hi Osmo,

Not a bad shot buy all accounts.

Always a bit tricky getting the short enough exposure to get the image and not to get star trails.

Kinda depends on the lens you use, and then how much you want top enlarge that image afterwards.

I keep trying but still find it difficult to get the right mix.

I tend to use my EFL MFT 600mm lens, which limits exposure to a very quick shot...just forgot the rule???????????

But with a sensitive camera which allows high ISO, you should be able tp cut the star trail to a minimum.

Just play with the beast, you have certainly achieved so far....

Challenge is to get the rings on Jupiter, forget the moons!!!

:):):):):)

Mj

Thanks MJ. Appreciate the advice. With my gear, is it even possible to capture the rings/bands?

I'm no expert - in fact I'd consider myself 'very' amateur at astrophotography, but I took 2 exposures and combined - one 'relatively' long shot (prob about 10 seconds) for the moons, and one much quicker on high-iso for the planet - then had to de-noise it in photoshop.
I just about managed to get the rings on it. I haven't tried again since but I really should give it a go... I guess I get put off when my effort looks so crap in comparison to those stunning clearly defined images!!
Still, we all have to start somewhere, so I was fairly happy with this effort of mine:
Edit to add, this was on my 7D @800mm f5.6

14212_10151311366892040_370639440_n.jpg

Hi Racing Snake. That is fantastic. A great inspirational shot for me to have another go (or 10)! :)

That's a cracker Gavin, (y)

Thanks MJ. Appreciate the advice. With my gear, is it even possible to capture the rings/bands?

I would have thought so.

To get the rings you just need a very fast shutter speed, all depending on ISO and aperture.

1/1200 upwards should begin to get them..

Tripod of course and a 500+ mm lens.

Trial and error but yu have made the first step..........

good luck

Back