First Attempt At Light Trails In London

Wow, love the red on The London Eye! It's almost always blue when I'm down there. Great shots of the clock tower/Westminster bridge lightrails and the Natural History Museum looks awesome. Far and away my favourite building in London. Looks like you had fun :)

barrieluv said:
Wow, love the red on The London Eye! It's almost always blue when I'm down there. Great shots of the clock tower/Westminster bridge lightrails and the Natural History Museum looks awesome. Far and away my favourite building in London. Looks like you had fun :)

Thanks Barrie! It was blue while we were on the eye but as soon as we got off it was red for the rest of the evening. Never seen it in red before either. Thanks again for the comments was a great weekend trying out new stuff with the camera.

Ricardodaforce said:
Love the shots! Some are almost identical to what I did a few weeks back.

Wow yours are great, some really original angles and great shots there.

In 1 and 2, I would have liked to have seen the clock face optimally exposed.
I think it would've added that little extra touch, even if it meant cheating a bit with layering/cut & paste in PP.
Whilst the focus is primarily on the trails, Big Ben (because of what it is) has such a strong focal pull any time it's in shot, that (to me) it has to be included in what's going to grab the attention of the eyes.

PJ S said:
In 1 and 2, I would have liked to have seen the clock face optimally exposed.
I think it would've added that little extra touch, even if it meant cheating a bit with layering/cut & paste in PP.
Whilst the focus is primarily on the trails, Big Ben (because of what it is) has such a strong focal pull any time it's in shot, that (to me) it has to be included in what's going to grab the attention of the eyes.

Thats my biggest gripe with them too, i tried to bring some exposure back into the clock face in ps but my pp skills aren't
good enough yet. I did just get the face exposed in ps on the third one but its left a slightly dark circle in the centre of the clock face.

Last edited:
Had a quick play there with it in Pixelmator - I'm sure with more time (and skill too) it may be possible to make it look genuine.
For me, at the time, I'd have exposed the same shot to get the clock face spot on, then used that in PP to replace the overexposed one.

PJ S said:
Had a quick play there with it in Pixelmator - I'm sure with more time (and skill too) it may be possible to make it look genuine.
For me, at the time, I'd have exposed the same shot to get the clock face spot on, then used that in PP to replace the overexposed one.

I might try and have more of a play around later on, i took quite a few shots so might have one that is better exposed for the clock.
Yeah i wish i had done that but was in a rush after a very long and cold day for me and the mrs to get some dinner and have the first sit down of the day, maybe next time....

Love the light trail from the bus in no.1 - could do with a little vertical alignment for the tower though

Love the light trail from the bus in no.1 - could do with a little vertical alignment for the tower though

I think its actually about 3 buses that why the trails are so vivid :D. Can soon sort the tower when I get home and straighten that up.

No luck with getting the clock face any better exposed though. Really wish I'd taken a pic of the face correctly exposed now but didn't think at the time :s.

Back