First Attempt at Macro (picture added)

Name
Tom
Edit My Images
No
Thanks for looking!!

My Canon 100mm 2.8 arrived today so was straight out in the garden to picture any bug I could find :)

These were all taken hand-held with no flash......

Please feel free to C+C as I really wanna concentrate on Macro.....

Feel free to I.D to as my knowledge of insects is pretty poor I'm afraid.....a fly, a bee and some sort of wasp!!?!?!?! :thinking:

No. 1

BUG12.jpg

No.2

BUG21.jpg

No.3

BUG3.jpg

No.4

BUG4.jpg

No.5

BUG51.jpg

First lesson learned is to pick a less windy day......

Last edited:
A great set Tom love the colours, #3 is a real cracker.

Oh no its a slippery slope now you've got your Macro lens :D

Anyway nice first attempt (y)

First 3 are hoverflies

Thanks...

Yes that was my guess as they did 'hover' a lot......and I think your right, it's gunna be a long, slippery and expensive slope.....but a good one I hope!!

Any tips on how to improve would be appreciated.

Biggest advice is just don't rush things and try to enjoy yourself along the way.

no 3 is brilliant!!! you've got the composition, colours & lighting really well on this one :)

Have you got a flash? it can really make a difference - reducing the aperture to increase the dof really cuts down the light, so it's a great excuse to get the flash out - even on a really bright day :)

No 3 is great - colours composition.

As has already been mentioned using flash really helps at times and a warning this can become addictive !:)

Loving no. 3, perfect! The shallow angle against the flower and the nice DoF is what works best here.
If I may, that's kinda what goes wrong with no. 4, nice DoF but nothing in the background to add interest to the shot.

Great start!

no.3 is the best for me, but the others look slightly soft, good set though!

Great shots hover flies are many a time mistaken for wasps have taken a few myself but after seeing some of the photos on here don't know wether to post them lol

Last edited:
No 3 is the better shot by a country mile :clap:

I shoot @ f11 and use a flash to good effect - Helps capture the little often missed details and ALWAYS focus on the eyes

welcome to the Macro club :LOL:

Les (y)

Many thanks all for the kind words.....I wanna get a flash but god knows which one??? I've been looking at ringflashes.......waddaya all think or use?

Thanks again!!

Had my first go at cloning to......couple of little touch-ups to improve...

Can you spot them?

Hover_Fly_1a.jpg

Ohh spot the difference, i love this game:
#1 - Mark on the petal in very bottom left,
#2 - Weird curved thingy just above and to the right of #1
#3 - Pollen speck on the right hand eye

Cant see any others though.

Correct!! Now you just have to dial this special 0871 Premium rate phone number to claim your prize...please ask bill payers permission, minimum call 30 mins ;-)

Back