First Attempt at Macro with 300mm f/4

Name
Joe
Edit My Images
No
First go at Macro today, trying it out to see if I want to go down the road of having some macro kit, quite enjoyed it to be honest, all feedback welcome + ID if possible ;)

Cheers

Joe

3+copy.JPG

6+copy.JPG

These are Damself flies Joe. Focus is a little soft but you're off to a great start.

Get yourself a macro lens and enter the world of frustration. It's very good fun and it can be quite interesting at times.

The sigma 70mm macro is good lens if you want to try something other than Nikon

I did look at that lens because it would be 60mm the same reach as the 60mm f/2.8 on my D300 with the crop DX crop 1.5x sensor.

I had a 60mm AF-D on my D700 and it was too short for Macro IMO, I upgraded to the 105VR which is a better length, but 150mm+ would be even better.

The sigma 70mm macro is good lens if you want to try something other than Nikon

I second this; for sure I've never used mine to its full potential. However, if I had my time over again, I would stretch (pun intended) for the 105mm or 150mm. You're not going to get much live stuff with a 40mm Joe.

I reckon the 300mm on a crop sensor is still good for larger stuff like bumble bees and dragonflies; and the 1.4TC doesn't reduce the MFD.

Large Red Damselfly (m) Common Blue Damselfly (m)
Nice shots.
I use a 300f4 for macro, sometimes with a 36mm extension ring.

Len

I'm not sure what the closest focus is like on the Nikon 300mm lens, but my Canon goes down to 1.5m. Put a 35mm extension tube on and its goes to 1.2m which is perfect for getting dragons and damselflies. Add a 1.4 tc and you have even more magnification. I'd recommend getting the tube. The benefit of this combo is that you can get a good shot at a safe working distance. Get a 105mm macro and you will be frustrated shooting damselflies. All my shots on here are with a 300mm with 35mm tube.

Never thought about putting my tubes on a telephoto before. Will try this out! Nice shots :)

Dont forget the Sigma 150 macro , i have the 180 and its a stunner but i think they have stopped making it now . yours gwh

I'm not sure what the closest focus is like on the Nikon 300mm lens, but my Canon goes down to 1.5m. Put a 35mm extension tube on and its goes to 1.2m which is perfect for getting dragons and damselflies. Add a 1.4 tc and you have even more magnification. I'd recommend getting the tube. The benefit of this combo is that you can get a good shot at a safe working distance. Get a 105mm macro and you will be frustrated shooting damselflies. All my shots on here are with a 300mm with 35mm tube.

Thanks for the reply also the Nikon version is the same focusing distance I will use the converter with them aswell, Do you use a autofocus or manual tubes?

Back