Beginner first attempt at macro

Name
mark
Edit My Images
Yes
hello
as the title says this is my first attempt at macro, im not overly happy with the results so any help or advice would be greatly appriciated
the first is a dandelion
canon 40d
canon 50mm f1.8
extension tube
iso 200
f8
1/250th
View attachment 5985

the second is some moss growing just below the water level in my pond, this was the best one of over 230 shots :(
canon 40d
canon 50mm f1.8
extension tube
iso 400
f11
1/125th
View attachment 5986

thanks for looking

neither picture has any point of sharpness suggesting movement blur,make sure you are rock solid and focus manually,also try to use a higher f number to increase DOF

Yeah there is something not right here, and it does look like movement blur. As Michael says try a higher F number (i'd go for around F13 and see if that's any better) but don't go too high or you'll begin to encounter diffraction.

How are you lighting these? Do you use flash or are these natural light? In my experience natural light generally gives a softer image, and you may struggle with hand held shots.

It would be good to know what magnification you are getting also (to advise on best aperture range). Here's a nice little guide on how to do that:

http://orionmystery.blogspot.co.uk/2010/09/macro-magnification-how-to-calculate.html

Also, to begin with at any rate, make sure you are resting your elbows or leaning against some kind of surface. Any movement can be exaggerated at the macro level (similar to using a massive zoom), so ensure you adopt good technique for focusing and stability.

HTHs

Last edited:
Thank you for the replys :) there was some movment due to the wind both shots were taken on a tripod with a remote shutter switch, I will definitely give the ruler trick a go, both shots were taken with 68mm extension tubes and a canon 50mm

macro is definitely something I need to work on but its so enjoyable thats no choir

Back