First attempt at Maternity 'Bump' Shots

Name
Simon
Edit My Images
Yes
Wife is at 36 weeks now, so thought I would attempt a few bump shots. All, quite hastily carried out, never tried OCF so gave that a go but results were poor so went back to on camera flash. Thought these were ok...

4980278775_b8bcce180e_b.jpg

4980279703_1209b48f48_b.jpg

4980279199_f88287a187_b.jpg

4980280577_c73705e0da_b.jpg

4980886418_dc3e1b23e2_b.jpg

4980884542_a7ae8766b8_b.jpg

I think you have done well for a first try. The only bits I would say is I am not keen on number one, just because I really dont like that pose as it always makes me cringe -just my opinion though so welcome to ignore as I am sure others really like it

Also I would probably get rid of the lines where the clothes have been. Other than that lovely, am sure your wife will be chuffed. I recently rushed doing some pics of my sisters bump thinking it wouldnt be long off - 2 weeks overdue now!

No C&C really but just thought I'd say its #4 for me, and either good PP on stretch marks or as my wife would say "she's one of the lucky ones!"

Is this the first child?

They look soft, grainy, underexposed and very harshly lit. Sorry. You've got time to try again! :) Try much softer lighting and a softer environment - maybe bed - soft drapes - these just look very harsh to me. They look more like forensic/medical record shots rather than a nice personal record of the event.

Last edited:
I would say is I am not keen on number one

Agree, but wife saw one like this and she liked it!

the poses work but they all look underexposed to me, also the contrast needs a punch, they look quite grey and flat

thats what I thought initially, but when I tried to get a bit more punch I was unsure if it was any better. This was 1 attempt.

4983119736_322cce1133_b.jpg

Is this the first child?

2nd, did a very small amount of PP on some bra lines on her side, she applies lots of bio oil and it seems to work re: stretch marks!

They look soft, grainy, underexposed and very harshly lit.

Any suggestions for lighting?

try daylight from a window - maybe diffused with a net curtain to produce a nice soft 'romantic' kind of light.

I would suggest trying a more dramatic lighting setup.

The image below is using 1 light placed each side, beyond the subject, in a darkened room.

pregnant_artN.jpg

Chris.

Last edited:
Well, was taken at around 930pm last night so daylight not an option. Will look to try again though. Chris, would have loved to have got an image last night but unfortunately I have not done ocf before and also the wife is not at her most patient at the moment!

Back