First attempt at motorbike racing photography

Edit My Images
No
Was good fun today at EMRA at Mallory. Never attempted this kind of photography before! Got a couple I was semi-pleased with :) Plus lots and lots of blurry pics.

Cam is a D7000 with the stock 18-105 lens

(not done anything to these images, crop etc)

I'd be happy with these on my first attempt, they do need some PP though as they look grey and flat as they are.

Considering you have used a stock lens you have done well. As said above a bit of editing would improve them a lot as they are abit flat colour wise.

Thanks, I had an attempt with iPhoto to bring out some more colour:

Didn't realise they were so dull until I started playing with the image!

Probably need a wee bit higher shutter speed to get more sharpness.

You've done the right thing in my opinion in leaving room for the bike to move into, but they are a little to close to the edge. For a first go at motorsport, they aren't bad at all though, keep going.

I was playing around during the day. Only using the shutter priority with lowish ISO 200-400. The shutter speed varied between 200-1000 depending on where I was. The image above was: ISO 400, 105mm,f/18 1/160.

In terms of lenses I was having a look around. I would only be taking photos on sunny days and at tracks where you can get relatively close to the track (not silverstone etc). A few people have suggested the Sig 100-300 F4 which is now discontinued and about £400 second hand. The camera I have is a nikon D7000.

Great first attempts and far better than mine were. A dull day is difficult without really expensive gear. I agree with previous comments, leave room to move into but not so tight behind.

Aidan

Back