First attempt at night photography

Name
Ian
Edit My Images
Yes
Morning, this is my first attempt at night photography, living next to massive port with unreal levels of light pollution I thought I would try to use the light rather than fight it, please let me know what if anything is any good and how I can improve.

Thanks
Ian

DSC_3629bnw_filtered
by Red9R on Talk Photography

DSC_3632

port-by-night

Love the first one, although my eyes are telling me the levels are out? Unless it's an illusion?
I take it the colour version is the same as the b&w as oddly the levels look fine in colour?

Love the first one, although my eyes are telling me the levels are out? Unless it's an illusion?
I take it the colour version is the same as the b&w as oddly the levels look fine in colour?
For me the B&W is the best too. I think it is level but oddly think that the colour one isn't! The left side seems higher on the colour but could be an illusion.

J

That's funny to me the b&w looks down on the left?

B&W is my choice too. There is an amazing difference between the first two images.

I like all three of these, and just to be different I prefer the last one most. Ways to improve, I would have preferred to see a little indigo/blue left in the sky, also the first two look a little soft as if the camera moved during exposer, as I can see ripples on the water it's probably caused by wind vibration with the longer shutter time. But as said they are all nice images and very good for a first try.

wow thanks all, the first two are different images from the same place so could be off level either way :eggface:, the first were taken on the port view point and it was windy, I tried from a little jetty but it was just to exposed and as much as I tried I could not stop that last little bit of camera shake, these were below the jetty in a bit of shelter but still windy, the last one was taken in a more sheltered area by a nature reserve at the other end of the port and on much firmer ground, I will try again on a calmer evening and with a ship facing the other way so Bow on..
I am pleased the B&W works as again its not something I have done much of, I did try to edit the colours a little before hitting the convert button in PS11, I would like to learn more on conversions to B&W as well..

Thank you all again for the encouraging comments, I will keep an eye on levels and colours, its good to know I am on the right track though :)

Last edited:
Big Andy, is this more what you were thinking? I am not confident with editing yet and only having a cheap laptop doesn't help, saving for a nice screen at the moment so I can hopefully get colours and balances better.

DSC_3602web

For me the B&W is the best too. I think it is level but oddly think that the colour one isn't! The left side seems higher on the colour but could be an illusion.

J

That's funny to me the b&w looks down on the left?

Here's an easy way to check horizons.
Grab the scroll bar, drag it until the part of the image you're unsure of meets the top edge of your screen and you'll instantly see if anything needs a bit of rotation.
In this case your eyes aren't deceiving you, the B&W one is slightly tilted to the left, the colour very slightly to the right.

Love the image though, the B&W one works really well imho. (y)

Thanks Wozzaaah, great tip as well, I must stop drinking when trying to straighten images :beer:

Back