First attempt at portrait (CC Needed)

Name
Richard Black
Edit My Images
Yes
Be gentle, or not maybe i need a good kicking to get me to do some good with a camera and people.

I've been VERY kindly lent a SB600 by Hacker, so tonight after work i had a few shots with my gf.
She kindly offered to model, despite feeling very unwell and uneasy in front of the camera at the best of times.

I've done some light PP, just to clear a couple of spots, as she didn't have time (and abit late to expect her to) to put make up on.

Shots were taken in my living room with a 24-70mm lens.

cori.jpg

To me she looks as beautiful as ever, but hows the photo.

C & C Very welcome, just don't say give up lol

Last edited:
Your gf is brave and very beautiful and it's a nicely taken pic. It does looks a bit dark and soft to me, and I think to really put the attention on her face, I would go for a head and shoulders shot or maybe a slighly more front on pose.

Would it be a case of adjusting the exposure? or something on the flash, i'm new to flashes.
I stupidly shot it in jpeg instead of raw (kicking my self now)
Shes very brave, i wouldn't have done it.
Although i may do a self portrait to cheer her up lol

Wonder why its soft? Possibly the lens.

cori2.jpg

Any better?

you need to do a curves adjustment on the picture which will brighten it up like this, i basically lifted in the middle and adjusted to suit from there, will look better on original.

ideally you could have done with either raising the iso and lowering the f stop to increase the shutterspeed a little

cori.jpg

personally i would crop it down, as her top looks to have got caught up.

Wish i'd saved the original with the light pp before cropping.
Damn!!

Cheers I'll take some more tomorrow and have a good play.

Back