First attempt at snapping surfers

Edit My Images
No
Some immense surf here yesterday so before going in for a session myself I decided to grab a few photos. Its my first attempt at photographing surfers and as a result, the outcome is pretty crap.

I am fully aware that I need to get closer, but thats a little hard when the only other place is in the water. I know longer lens would have helped cover this a little better, but I cant afford it. Anyway, here's the outcome:

4699192913_ab2aa71384.jpg

4699083149_e09a6374fd.jpg

4699864576_dfbf754929.jpg

4699857906_49412c6fb9.jpg

Flat light and rain made for some very dingy pictures, many had to be deleted due to rain on the lens (yes I need a hood too).

Its definately something I would try again, although its not as much fun as being on the other side of the lens (y) :D

Were these all at 200mm? Could you crop them to get a bit closer in on the surfer?

Not a lot you can do about the flat light and grey conditions, exept maybe a nice moody B&W conversion?

You've caught some good action in the first three shots (y)

The last one I'd bin though as it's just some black blobs in an expanse of grey :(

All taken at 200mm. Havnt considered cropping, just uploaded them straight to web as is. Ill have a play with them in PS when I have more time.

There are more on my Flickr page, although the ones above are probably the best of the lot. Sadly some of the ones showing waves breaking didnt come out too well due to water on the lens blurring some of the detail.

No 3 has the most potential. Crop it a bit tighter and make it pano format and it's getting there.... like the monochrome-look from it being a dull day. I'd also clone out that buoy just tot he left of the surfer

4706666114_80f842b580.jpg

Boredom saw me dropping the color altogether, darkening the exposure a little, adjusting the contrast, cropping into a panoramic style, adding a border and cloning out the buoy.

Not sure if it works or just fails :shrug:

Back