First attempt at stacking

Edit My Images
No
This was my first attempt at stacking (the bee)
I used a 50mm Sony Macro lens on the A7
I got a cheap slider on Amazon just to try it out and was happy with the end results
my second attempt (the wasp) wasnt so good as you can see there seems to be fuzzy parts inbetween the stacks
I think it was the way I controlled the focus
I'm hoping to get better at this

Thanx Carl

The bee looks like the light was too harsh or it has been oversharpened or both. the wasp has a colour cast.

Thanx for the feedback Alf
Points taken and lesson learned
The bee had two flashguns on either side and I was sooo busy concentrating on shifting the focus that all other issues was wrongfully neglected

I would say for your first attempt they are very good but the second picture does seam to have a strange tint.

Great first attempts! As mentioned the lighting looks quite harsh on the bee and it seems to have a slight glow to it (I am guessing part of this is due to post processing. The stack itself looks very good though.

You've picked up on the major flaw with the second. With the cheap macro rails it can be difficult to move the slider in small enough adjustments (I know I have a cheap one myself) and obviously magnification is higher which makes this even more problematic. Try to capture more images (I usually go for a full push from the front to the back, then back to front again) or increase your aperture slightly to create more DoF in each frame. Also for studio stacks, check out @nass 's www.extreme-macro.co.uk. It's awesome! Well for all types of macro really, not just studio stacks...

Thanx Tim

I will check out the site

Actually I did increase the DOF in the second photo thinking that would help but it didn't .... I'm sure it was my manual intervention with the slider

Again ... Thanx for the info

Back