First attempt at video with DSLR.

Name
Ben
Edit My Images
Yes
Well done for noticing the stability issue. Our would drastically improve your shots.

One major thing was the music didn't really work with the shots...at all.

Perhaps in the beginning, but when the action started, it didn't work.

Telling the story a bit more would help (why is he mountain biking, how long for etc). Adopts of him setting his bike up in the car would have been a bonus.

The only other thing I would like to suggest is more eye for saturation and making the shots look less "dull" for lack of a better word in the edit.

Not a bad effort for a first go though!

I'm impressed. Having a D3100 I know how difficult it is. I assume that you used manual focus and locked the exposure. Nikon's full time auto focus is rubbish. Like mine, it looks desaturated and over exposed, lacking detail in the highlights - it's enough to make you wish you'd been sensible and brought a Canon 550/600d.

Overall though, unbeatable quality for a £400 camera.

Well done for noticing the stability issue. Our would drastically improve your shots.

One major thing was the music didn't really work with the shots...at all.

Perhaps in the beginning, but when the action started, it didn't work.

Telling the story a bit more would help (why is he mountain biking, how long for etc). Adopts of him setting his bike up in the car would have been a bonus.

The only other thing I would like to suggest is more eye for saturation and making the shots look less "dull" for lack of a better word in the edit.

Not a bad effort for a first go though!

Thanks for your tips! I'll be sure to implement them in my next film. :)

I'm impressed. Having a D3100 I know how difficult it is. I assume that you used manual focus and locked the exposure. Nikon's full time auto focus is rubbish. Like mine, it looks desaturated and over exposed, lacking detail in the highlights - it's enough to make you wish you'd been sensible and brought a Canon 550/600d.

Overall though, unbeatable quality for a £400 camera.

Thanks. Yes, I was using manual focus - tried using auto focus when I first got the camera and was utterly disappointed. :LOL: Was not aware I could lock the exposure?

But yes, when I bought my SLR I didn't really understand how good SLR's were for video - I thought it was just a little fad with bad quality but it certainly produces better quality than my old dedicated camcorder.

I am saving up for a Canon 60D. :bonk:

What program are you using for editing? Liked the way you titled it :)

Edit: Just seen which software at the end of your second vid ;) Liked the second a lot :)

Last edited:
Great colour correction, still some over exposure but now not instantly recognisable as being D3100 footage, in fact its some of the best video I've seen from this camera. Still some rolling shutter, but thats always going to be a problem with any DSLR

Did you use After Effects to smooth the camera movements?

What program are you using for editing? Liked the way you titled it :)

Edit: Just seen which software at the end of your second vid ;) Liked the second a lot :)

Thanks, the feedback is appreciated.

Great colour correction, still some over exposure but now not instantly recognisable as being D3100 footage, in fact its some of the best video I've seen from this camera. Still some rolling shutter, but thats always going to be a problem with any DSLR

Did you use After Effects to smooth the camera movements?

Cheers. Yeah there is still over exposure but as you say I don't think I can be too fussy shooting with a D3100. After efects was not used. I just used a tripod on the 2nd video. On the shots where the camera moves I used the tripod as a monopod.

Back