First Attempt - Fireworks

Edit My Images
No
I struggled with the manual focusing on my Fufjifilm X-A5. I just put the camera onto interval timer to take a 4-second exposure every 20 seconds and hoped for the best! Last night here, as well as being foggy, was absolutely full of smoke so a lot of haze.

6Jea8Y9.jpg

xFTLrYf.jpg

rg3bo4t.jpg

tkKtyQ0.jpg

I don't have a second tripod so had to improvise for my Nikon Coolpix P90 bridge camera. I think this is best of the bunch (focus and alignment mostly off). Quite noisy even at ISO 200.
9aMjgQq.jpg

Well done for giving it a go - perhaps try again tomorrow night? Some of these were potentially good. Unfortunately they've blown out, likely due to too wide an aperture and/or too high ISO setting. They also emphasise the importance of a stable tripod for this kind of work, with quite a bit of camera shake visible in some.

Well done for giving it a go - perhaps try again tomorrow night? Some of these were potentially good. Unfortunately they've blown out, likely due to too wide an aperture and/or too high ISO setting. They also emphasise the importance of a stable tripod for this kind of work, with quite a bit of camera shake visible in some.
Thanks for looking and the constructive assessment!

If I reduce the aperture and/or ISO won't that mean the dark areas would be black/underexposed? My balcony is high up and prone to gusts of wind not felt at ground level which probably explains the movement of my current tripod. I'll put a new heavy-weight tripod down on my 2021 wish list!

I like 1 and 3, particularly because they've got something going on in the foreground, even though there are technical issues with them as mentioned above. I've done fireworks before now, and they come out OK with a bit of practice, but I don't have anything happening in the foreground, it's just the firework on a black background perhaps with a few trees dotted around. I keep promising I'll try harder, maybe next year.

As for the tripod movement, I haven't had that issue myself but I have seen people hanging heavy-ish things from their normal tripod to give extra stability.

Last edited:
Back