First attempt of photographing the moon

Name
Neil
Edit My Images
Yes
On Christmas Eve I noticed the sky was pretty clear & thought i'd have a go at photographing the moon with my Sony cyber-shot DSC-H400 & TBH I was expecting just to get a white dot surrounded by a black sky so was rather pleased with the out come being totally new to photography. I think there maybe a little camera shake as I had a couple of drinks before hand. First photo is with the camera set in full auto mode

I then had a go at playing with some of the settings on the camera & set it to ISO100, 250/1 & f8 & got this photo

As I said i'm totally new to all of this so would be grateful for any views or advice on how to improve as I don't think I adjusted the setting right to get the best out of my camera

s I said i'm totally new to all of this so would be grateful for any views or advice on how to improve as I don't think I adjusted the setting right to get the best out of my camera
There's certainly not a lot wrong with the the second image, a levels boost and sharpen in photoshop brings out a little more detail too.
( you can even see the street lights in Moomin city ;) )
As you have the edit ticked, if you don't like it say so and I'll delete it.

006_zpslrwmxd4b-edit.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks very much for the edit Cobra I like it :)
No problem :) it was just a couple of minutes in photoshop, its actually a tad blue, ( cool) and could do with warming up a little,
but hopefully you get the idea and it'll be easier with the full size file (y)

As said, nothing wrong with the second shot. Another suggestion is to photograph the moon when it is a cresent or up to and just after first quarter (ie the half moon stage). At full (or near full) moon the sun is more or less directly behind you so the lighting is very flat and there are hardly any shadows. During the waxing phase from a cresent moon to first quarter the angle of the sun gives really good shadows. You can do the same when the moon is waning after the full moon but the moon rises later then so you may need to wait until the early hours to see it high in the sky.

Dave

I've read that it is best to wait until the moon is at it's highest to reduce the effects of the atmosphere. Does anyone have any views on this?

Back