First Attempt - VW Golf 1.9TDI

Hi dan :)

here's my 50p worth.

The first one isnt too bad, though I think you stood too close with the camera for the other images. The first image is also a bit flat, a more open aperture will fuzz out the backround and make your car pop out better.

Were you stood close? (10ft or under) ? The perspective gets a bit messed up that way (though you can take advantage of that to get unusual shots). Stand back, use the zoom, perspective will look much better.

Angles - try kneeling or even lying down on the ground to get a different perspective to what someone normally sees.

Also try and park away from trees if you dont want the reflection of the branches on the windscreen.

The last image, definitely stand back as the point of interest in this image appears to be the mirror, before my eyes darted back to the bottom of the image and realise it might be the VW logo on the light you're photographing.

Please dont take the crit the wrong way, thats just how <i> would have photographed it. There is no right and wrong and each to their own. Its just the tips might make the images more pleasing to look at.

Cheers for the tips. Not taken the wrong way at all that was exactly what I was after. This was a bit of a spur of the moment thing as well as a first attempt, and I think my lack of planning didnt help matters. The first shot, I was parked on a bit of grass in a local park and I wasnt sure whether I might get a telling off for doing so, so I rushed it a wee bit.

As for the other 2, well after looking at it more #2 looks like something off autotrader and #3 your right, could do with a bit more DoF.

Reflections are my main problem, doesnt matter where I stand or what angle I get to, I seem to get reflections everywhere (Powerlines, Trees, Tarmack, Me and the Camera!). I think I need to find a more open area, and something with a secondary point of interest in the background (local monument/statue maybe, or even just an interesting building) Think my next task is to go and scout out a decent location.

I really want to try some night time lightpainting on it, but haven't got round to getting a decent torch yet.

Cheers for the advice.

Last edited:
Vastly improved though!

Thank you!

Honestly though, it is amazing how much you can learn on this forum! People's feedback and critiques, which are always massively helpful, combined with viewing other people's images which they post has taught me a hell of a lot. Not only with this I may add, but every element of photography I have 'had a go at' so far has been with the help of people on here. So thank you all :)

Back